hello new guy from LA

9thdragon

hello all, im new to this shrimp hobby and I don't have any shrimp yet. I'm here just to learn about shrimp from some experience shrimp hobbiests. My english is bad. Sorry.

I'm thinking of buying AquaJapan 45 nano tank with the aquarium AJ 18 light cost around 70 bucks, Fluval stratum substrate, pearl weed, dwarf baby tears and shrimp unknown yet (maybe red crystal shrimps)

Any1 have AJ nano tank before??? share some experience please. So before i start this shrimp project. Do i just put the substrate in the tank with full r/o water and then cycled for a day then i put the shrimp? I dont need to add any additives or anything? the substate already going to make r/o water ph/gh/kh tds good for the shrimp?

Thank you all. If i ever breed 50 to 100 of  them i will definitely give you some of mine for free to who ever make me a successful shrimp papa. =)

Welcome.

I'm unsure as to the cycle process that is involved with that substrate as I have never used it. As far as your ro water gourd you will need to remineralize it using salty shrimp or some other brand to get the correct values for CRS

Hi and welcome, the substrate you want to use is for lowering your ph and keep it steady, you will have to remineralize your ro water to get the gh, kh, and tds to were you want it. And as for cycling it would be a month or so till it is cycled unless yo u have a seeded filter already. If you put shrimps in a non cycled tank they will most likey not survive.

i thought fluval stratum substrate will alternate the ph, gh, kh, tds ready for the shrimp because that's what local fish shop people told me. (good thing i didnt buy anything yet).

I did research on some shrimp substrates like that site http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/substrate/ and it telling me the range of the ph, gh, kh. So once again the substrates will not alternate the R/O water and i still need to buy mineral gh+?

what substrate you guyz use?

Welcome. If you are going to start with neocaridina inert substrate with r/o water and a KH + GH re mineralizer is all you need. You could use tap water but I don't recommend it.  

Welcome! I think its unclear what type of shrimp you want to start with. If it's crystal red shrimp (crs), then an active substrate that lowers ph such as ADA Amazonia, controsoil, etc. is the type of substrate to use. If you are going to use cherry shrimp (rcs - red cherry shrimp), then go with sand.

for substrate choices:

Crystal Red Shrimp - ControSoil, you can find it at Amazon for $45 10L, free shipping

Red Cherry Shrimp - Pool Sand, $4, 50lbs, you can find it in HD/LOWES

Tank size:

CRS - 10 gallon min

RCS - 5 gallon min

welcome, if you are able to, Id suggest visiting Blue Crown Aquatics, they are located in El Monte, and can help you out with all the questions you have. Further more, when you are ready to purchase shrimps, you probably won't find another place with more shrimps in 1 spot locally. 

damnit,,,i realize that if i want to keep shrimps i also need a tds meter...and all the LFS told me to get it online gonna take 3 to 5 weeks omg....=(

anyway i went to another LFS and they have this aquarium soil, aquasand, fluval stratum substrate. So which one to use for CRS?

the LFS dont have any gh+ minerals but someone give me this fluval shrimp mineral supplement for free unopen =P. Will this work??

fluval-shrimp-mineral-supplement-60ml-na

91jKQeEfX9L._SL1500_.jpg

61QYWdWdrtL._SL1000_.jpg

RO does not need Prime. :)

I use UP Aquasand with great results.  Haven't had to change it in around 2 years and still buffers.  Some people have had ti not buffer for some reason.  Not sure why.  But mine works fine.

Fluval remin works fine.  I used it for my CRS tank before switching to SS gh+.  Since I have a lot of tanks, GH+ is more economical for me.