hydra post

I just got home no more deaths and my wine panda seems to be ok, the green tint went away as well. Checked the parameters all of them were good like my girl said. When I saw the dead shrimp I turned back on the lights and put my purigen back in so I think that might have saved them.

I used No Planaria in my 20 to treat hydra. No babies lost, but I also dosed half what the package suggested. I lost two adult shrimp to hydra, they are not to be messed with! I removed my snails and put them in a new home. My thai micro crabs survived the treatment.

I found one in my marina box this am.  Saw it on the glass right next to a sleeping baby shrimp, so I quickly squished it on my finger and shocked the baby shrimp all to heck it took off across the box.....nightmare in elm st shrimp style. LOL

Thats very strange, I have never heard of fenben causing deaths in shrimp.

No... Fenbendazole is not shrimp safe. They do kill shrimp. Even if it doesn't kill the shrimp, either it will make them weak and/ or they will kill microbes and critters that cause massive decaying of matters. This will later kill the shrimp.

Some people may find the shrimp is fine with Fenbendazole but some may not. It is all about the sensitive of the shrimp. By any case that you really have to use Fenbendazole, you will need to perform water flush immediately after the treatment. Or else, the result may potentially catastrophic.

If a tank is infested with hydra, H2O2 is a safer alternative to treat the tank. Dosing 1ml per 4 litre of water for 2 to 3 days is lethal enough to kill most hydra and algae. But it will not affect higher form of creatures. Given said that, some shrimp may not like it too.

Use Fenbendazole only for those big size planaria. There are tiny version of planaria and they are relatively safe, thus you don't need to treat them.

Prevention is always better than cure. It is always a good practice to quarantine and treat all live plant and driftwood prior putting them into shrimp tank. ;)

No... Fenbendazole is not shrimp safe. They do kill shrimp. Even if it doesn't kill the shrimp, either it will make them weak and/ or they will kill microbes and critters that cause massive decaying of matters. This will later kill the shrimp.

Some people may find the shrimp is fine with Fenbendazole but some may not. It is all about the sensitive of the shrimp. By any case that you really have to use Fenbendazole, you will need to perform water flush immediately after the treatment. Or else, the result may potentially catastrophic.

If a tank is infested with hydra, H2O2 is a safer alternative to treat the tank. Dosing 1ml per 4 litre of water for 2 to 3 days is lethal enough to kill most hydra and algae. But it will not affect higher form of creatures. Given said that, some shrimp may not like it too.

Use Fenbendazole only for those big size planaria. There are tiny version of planaria and they are relatively safe, thus you don't need to treat them.

Prevention is always better than cure. It is always a good practice to quarantine and treat all live plant and driftwood prior putting them into shrimp tank. ;)

Do you happen to know the active ingredient in Benibachi Planaria Zero?

Do you happen to know the active ingredient in Benibachi Planaria Zero?

Sorry, I never tried it before. Usually, I will try not to dose this sort of things in the tank.

However, I do know some of the so call "Aquarium Safe" planaria, hydra and algaecide uses salicylic acid (a.k.a Asprin/ BHA) as active ingredient. These sort of products will claim that it uses natural ingredient derives from plant. BUT.... Don't go and start dumping asprin into the tank like fenbendazole. LOL!!! (^_^")y Asprin is not water soluble and it has to be dissolved in solvent first. And... they are not 100% shrimp safe too.

But like I said... It is better to treat and quarantine the plant before use. Usually, I will treat the plant with diluted H2O2 for 10 to 20 minutes. After that, I will treat them with diluted HCL or undiluted Revive Vita for 2 to 10 mins (depending on the plant type). Then I will soak them for a week or two.

planaria zero is made from a crushed nut made into a powder. i forget exactly which.  

I also use the RO:Peroxide 3:1 solution with great success when quarantining plants or even if I move plants from an old tank to a new tank just to be sure i'm not transferring any critters.

as for hydra... .1g per 10g, twice over 3 days then water change and some charcoal in the filter always works for me with no deaths.

I believe No Planaria and Benibachi Planaria Zero are betel nut.

SD, I have never heard of different kinds of planaria before; do you happen to know their names? Or do you mean the smaller one is not even a planaria?

There are many types of planaria/ flatworm. They come in different sizes, colour and shapes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planarian