SL-Aqua 10G Shrimp Tank

mayphly

I thought I'd give the SLA-Aqua products a try and decided to dedicate one of my 10g tanks to it's products. I really liked the post that Eric (Discobee) made "Cycling tanks the easy SL-Aqua way". Right on Eric for making these products available to us! My goal is to get this tank cycled in 30 days. I'm using Ada Amazonia as the substrate along with SL-Aqua Magic powder and Purify to start my cycle with. I'll be using the Blue Wizard for remineralizing my RO water. Any shrimp product that has the word "Wizard" in it has to "magic"! :P

post-89-0-91822900-1428450882_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-54254800-1428450909_thumb.jpg

I am very interested to seeing the results. I want to try either the SL-Aqua or Shrimp Daddy products, but I am up in the air right now.

This thread is supposed to be about my experience using this product and sharing the results with the people on this forum. It's not a place for competition between sellers and products. You guys both offer some good shrimp products and your contributions to this hobby have been well noted on this forum. Let's leave it at that. The products will speak for themselves over time. Thanks!

FYI, Yesterday I filled the tank with 100% RO water and turned on the sponge filters and set the temps to 85 degrees. Hopefully only 28 days to go. :thumbsu: 

wow in 2 days!!!???

I was just as surprised. Also, there are some clumps of what looks like "fuzzy fungus" which have formed. I'm assuming this is normal.

As far as I know Song Liang Ltd. (SL-Aqua) has been around since 2013. There products have already been tested and proven to work. This is why I purchased them. So, don't be misled that I am here to "test" the products. I'm just a consumer (addict) with a major shrimp adddiction, who is just logging my findings with the products. However, with that said, I'm open to answer any questions that one may have about the products I use. If I don't know the answer I'll do my best to find out for you. Thanks!

Why 85 degrees?  And do you add any other products during the 30 days?

Temperature affects the growth rate of bacteria. I believe 86 degrees is optimal temperature for growing nitrifying bacteria from what I have read. I'm not adding anything else to this cycle. And.... get ready for this........ no water changes during the cycle. :D

The directions state to perorm a 50% water change at the end of the cycle. Then it should be ok to add shrimp. I'll begin to test for ammonia close to the 30th day or once the water clears up. Then I'll drop my temps back down. Today is only day 3 and my tank looks like an alien planet

post-89-0-28266000-1428727050_thumb.jpg

Wow that is crazy looking. I dont know if I could handle that haha. Very interested to see if you see any improvement in shrimp health over a old school cycle. I am kind of on the fence with all these new ways of cycling.  I am all for advancement but also feel there is no replacement for time.

I will try to start a tank following rules then end up back in my old ways(Liams special sauce is my shnit) lol

Wow that is crazy looking. I dont know if I could handle that haha. Very interested to see if you see any improvement in shrimp health over a old school cycle. I am kind of on the fence with all these new ways of cycling.  I am all for advancement but also feel there is no replacement for time.

I will try to start a tank following rules then end up back in my old ways(Liams special sauce is my shnit) lol

All my tanks up until recently I only used Mosura old sea mud, BT-9 and floating plants for tank start ups and have had pretty good success using that method. I have to say I do like the visual effect going on here in thjis tank. It's almost like mad scientist work. I wish I had a good microscope to see what's taking place here. I have read that a good established colony of nitrifying bacteria can  take anywhere from 2-8 weeks depending on various facters in a tank. 

It's been 5 days and the tank is so cloudy you can barely see through it. I also got some more Purify from DiscoBee and started up another 10g using the easy cycle method. These two tanks I'm planning on keeping taitibee projects in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk