My experience with Fish Bendazole

So I use fish benazole to kill my hydra thinking it was going to be safe for my shrimp. I used 250mg for two tanks. 100mg in my blue diamond tank and 150mg in my 20g cbs/oebt/tb tank. The neo tank was fine no deaths at all. However I noticed deaths right away after using it in my tb tank. After the fact I started doing some reading and asking around and found out that fish benazole can be very deadly to the cards where the neos are more hardy and will have a greater chance to survive. Not only does the Fish Bendazole kill the hydra, worms, and some snails but it also kills off the microrbs that have colonized helping keep the tank stable. I dosed over a week ago did a full water restart, check all my parameters ever morning I wake up and I'm still losing two shrimp a day.

post-1309-0-63941300-1428790139_thumb.jp

What is the Facebook shrimp forum I keep hearing about

USA Freshwater Shrimp and Plants

Have you changed anything else in your tank prior to your deaths?

May I ask why you use fish bendazole? not dog dewormer?

Dog dewormer is very simple, only 222mg fenbendazole per 1 gram powder, nothing else.

Don't know this fish bendazole, what's the ingredient?

I got 1 gram pcak Panacur from Amazon.

post-231-0-83605500-1428808553_thumb.jpg

panacure c is 22% active.

fishbenzadole is 99% pure

Then it's overdose.

I dose 22mg for 10 gallon. 44mg for 20 gallon.

The recommendation for years has been .1g fenben per 10g.

No, 100mg of 22% powder, so it's 22mg pure fenbendazole for 10 gallon.

Where have you found that the .1g only refers to panacur?

I read a lot before I treat my tank. I clearly remember is 100mg powder for 10 gallon. I don't remember the link now.

For my experience, hydra dies off in day or two, and never comes back. so my dose is good enough to get rid of hydra.

If 100mg pure fenbendazole is recommended, I should fail, but actually not.

I still have the picture that I measure the powder with my digital scale.

post-231-0-30433800-1428810757_thumb.jpg

My inquiry is not whether it is 100mg powder for 10 gallon.  I've come across that several times and can list links. ;)

My question is whether that only pertains to panacur.

In essence you bring up a good question- since fishbenzadole is more pure than panacur, should the amount be reduced? 

From personal experience, I can say with certainty .1g fishben won't affect neos, but is it needed that high? 

It has also been used on cards that high with no problems, however again- that pure, is it needed that high?

Very good questions, James.

My inquiry is not whether it is 100mg powder for 10 gallon.  I've come across that several times and can list links. ;)

My question is whether that only pertains to panacur.

In essence you bring up a good question- since fishbenzadole is more pure than panacur, should the amount be reduced? 

From personal experience, I can say with certainty .1g fishben won't affect neos, but is it needed that high? 

It has also been used on cards that high with no problems, however again- that pure, is it needed that high?

Very good questions, James.

I believe most of people doesn't have access to fish bendazole (pure form of fenbendazole), but can find dog dewormer easily in pet store.

I check the different brands of dog dewormer, they have same ingredient as 22% fenbendazole.

I have used .1mg of Fenbendazole per 10 gallons for tigers, CRS, and various neos and never had any issues.  I have heard you can use less if you are just treating hydra (vs planaria) but I haven't tried it.  I don't see why the fish bendazole would cause deaths when the dog stuff (with same active ingredient) wouldn't

I have used .1mg of Fenbendazole per 10 gallons for tigers, CRS, and various neos and never had any issues.  I have heard you can use less if you are just treating hydra (vs planaria) but I haven't tried it.  I don't see why the fish bendazole would cause deaths when the dog stuff (with same active ingredient) wouldn't

fish bendazole is pure form (100%), do dewormer is less strength 22% powder. so roughly fish bendazole is 5 times stronger than dog dewormer.

1g = 1,000mg

0.1g = 100mg

.01g = 10mg

I always use .01g of the 22.2% (222 mg/g) fenbendazole and have never had a death result from  dosing. Unfortunately I thnk you dosed 10x's the recommended amount. I pour the packet out and chop it up super fine and divide it in to 10 equal parts. This is the only way I know I won't mess up. Sorry about your losses.