Long time reader, first time poster!

shrymprdan

Howdy everyone!

I'm Danny Landry but you all can think of me as shrymprdan! I have spent many late nights and early mornings reading all the great info on this site. So much stuff here! And so many people willing to share!

I need to give a shout out to Soothing Shrimp, as he sold me some very nice chocolate neos this week. All 13 are doing just fine. Soothing gave great service and was very easy to work with. Thanks again!

I keep a few different colors of neos.

All my shrimp tanks use Hamburg mattenfilters.

Almost all of my tanks are dirted.

More to come.

Get shrympin,

Welcome shrymprdan! I'm a total newcomer to this site and have been pouring over the info here myself. It is pretty amazing how much people have shared here. After reading lots of things about the various filters I'm pretty sold on the idea of the Hamburg mattenfilters myself. Look forward to getting to know you and everyone else here as we take our journeys through this experience, sharing triumphs and failure alike so we can all get better at this.

Welcome aboard! I would like to hear more about how you set up a dirted tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Metageogist- I'm from Lafayette, LA. Our connection is most likely mining/geology. Went to school out in New Mexico. I used to be a Mining Engineer. Got lots of respect for geologists!

CrazyFishLady - will post some pics soon, don't quite know how yet. Very new to forums.

Maphly - My influences for dirted tanks were from Dianna Walsted (Ecology of the Planted Aquarium) and from Dustinsfishtanks on YouTube. I start out with Organic Garden soil, mix in peat moss (fine grains) at about a 2:1 soil peat ratio in a 5 gal bucket. Wet the mixture in the bucket to about oatmeal consistency. Spread out in the bottom of the tank about 2" and cap with an inert substrate (pool/play sand, crushed lava rock). I've heard it referred to as "the poor mans Eco Complete"! It's been great for me.

My longest duration of a dirted setup is two years. This was with fish. Longest dirted shrimp tank for me is a little over a year

There are some drawbacks, though:

Can't constantly uproot/replant plants without making a mess.

Doesn't lend itself to steep mounding.

does release gas bubbles as the soil decomposes

I only have neos, so I don't know how other species will fare.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Metageogist- I'm from Lafayette, LA. Our connection is most likely mining/geology. Went to school out in New Mexico. I used to be a Mining Engineer. Got lots of respect for geologists!

CrazyFishLady - will post some pics soon, don't quite know how yet. Very new to forums.

Maphly - My influences for dirted tanks were from Dianna Walsted (Ecology of the Planted Aquarium) and from Dustinsfishtanks on YouTube. I start out with Organic Garden soil, mix in peat moss (fine grains) at about a 2:1 soil peat ratio in a 5 gal bucket. Wet the mixture in the bucket to about oatmeal consistency. Spread out in the bottom of the tank about 2" and cap with an inert substrate (pool/play sand, crushed lava rock). I've heard it referred to as "the poor mans Eco Complete"! It's been great for me.

My longest duration of a dirted setup is two years. This was with fish. Longest dirted shrimp tank for me is a little over a year

There are some drawbacks, though:

Can't constantly uproot/replant plants without making a mess.

Doesn't lend itself to steep mounding.

does release gas bubbles as the soil decomposes

I only have neos, so I don't know how other species will fare.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Sweet, another geologist. Always wanted to be a mine geologist but there is only one in all of ny and it closed 6 months after my interview. So I ended up in the environmental cleanup side.

I see you also do dirted tanks. We use nearly identical methods. Where did you find granulated peat I have never seen it. I cap mine with turface.

Is that you only had your dirted shrimp tank for a year did you have problems with the substrate?

have a gneiss day