silly question - what is the best way to OPEN a bag with shrimp in it?

I thought I was the only one that HATED this part of getting new shrimp. Then someone posted about it on FB but the topic never went anywhere.

So, you open the box.. bat crazy excited (my new favorite phrase btw, ha ha). Your drip bucket is ready, all you have to do is get all of the shrimp safely out of that tight little pouch and into the bucket.

Do you untie the bag and dump? I cut the bag just under the knot and .. of course...water spewed everywhere (I had it right over the bucket) but those shrimp when gushing out like I sent them over Niagara falls. 

There must be a smart way to do it.. and obviously I don't know what that is.  lol

That is an awesome question. I always feel so awkward doing it .   I do like you Crazy. I cut just under the knot but Im always afraid Im going to behead a shrimp and hte water gushes.  And then of course sometimes the get stuck in a corner... 

Great question!

I've never had shrimp shipped to me so I don't know if it's packed any differently. I get mine locally and it's bagged similar to the way fish is, just a lot smaller and tighter.

I usually untie the top and roll the bag down, folding it into itself. I then slowly pour the contents into the drip bucket as if I was pouring a beer. I'm not sure how else to explain it lol. I'm sure there's a better way.

I knew I had read this somewhere, I don't think this is the original article I remember, but it's along the same lines as far as getting everything out of the bag......

https://www.facebook.com/sharnbrookshrimp/posts/293092230821777

The problem with cutting the bag at the top is, in the breather bag, there is no air pocket to buffer it. As soon as you snip just under the knot, the bag opens and water goes everywhere (again unless I am doing that part wrong). I could see that working in a regular bag with air though.

I am going to try to untie the knot next time and do the fold down method, that sounds like a good option. :)

yes the panic of 'the one stuck shrimp'... gads... I actually talk to it, "Come on... please come out... you are going to die... come on" Then some bad words and more pleading. lol

Who would have thought just opening the bag and getting the shrimp out would be so hard, ha ha

So, this is how I do it, and it has worked well for me.  Part of the process is getting over the fear that if they are stuck on the side of the bag without water, that they are instantly dead.  Not the case.   :D

So, I set the bag in a shrimp safe water container that has space around it for my hands to work, and will hold all the water (and then some) that is in the bag.  I then pinch the bag up by the top of the knot, and near the seam/weld that goes down the side of the bag.  I make like a 1" slit or so.  Then, I take my scissors and cut down the seam line of the bag. At some point, a bunch of water will rush out the hole that you are making as you cut down the side - not a big deal, perfectly fine.  Now, make a snip on the other side by the top of the knot and the other seam on the bag.  Cut down this side as well.  By now, you probably have little to any water left in the bag - that's OK.  Finally, cut below the knot, all the way across, and the bag will flop open and you can lay it flat.  Any shrimp that has clung to the side of the bag can be safely dipped in the water, and they'll uncling themselves and swim away.  If you do all of this while resting the bottom of the bag on the bottom of your container, the water really only rushes out sideways into the container.

I think the really big fear to get over, and we've all been there, is that the shrimp are not going to die within 30 seconds of not being in the water.  They are much more durable than that.  When first starting out using this method, if you ever panic, all you have to do is set the bag in the bowl and just open a side to let water back in.  Really, it's almost more to explain it all than it is to do it.  Once you've done it a few times, and realize the shrimp will be OK, you'll relax more and it will be old hat, as they say.

Ok - so from that I've gathered I should have a glass of wine... then follow your instructions.... :)

I'm getting some tangerines in a few weeks so I am going to give it a try. I guess I technically know they aren't going to die in a few seconds but there is the slight twinge of worry.

Thank you for the great advice... again.. even though I threw in the wine part lol

Place bag in a cup, make sure there arent any shrimp at the top to cut in half and cut below knot.

This is what I do, use a canning jar and cut the top. Water never leaves the bag,