Lets talk about Chillers

What exactly do they do and how do they work?   Do they go in the tank?  are they fans?  How do they keep the water cool?

I know zero about them except the name and that they are expensive but with summer coming, I want to get educated. 

I googled and found many chillers but I didnt get a good idea of exactly how they work

1, you need a water pump or canister filter, water need to pump through the chiller and comes back to tank. so it doesn't work with sponge filter/HOB

2, you need connect two pipes between your tank and chiller

3, chiller is like a small refrigerator.with hose to connect to canister in series.

20130911_232134_zps42cb29ea.jpg

For easy and affordable cooling I recommend fan controlled by a digital temperature controller (like STC 1000). This is my way of doing right now for summers.

I hear what you are all saying about the SCT  1000 but I dont undertand how it works. I dont see a thermometer on it   http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430950270&sr=8-1&keywords=sct+1000   does the fan plug into it?

I see the chiller is way out of my league.  

Last year I had a fan set on a timer and it would just turn on each day at noon and go off at 9  

The STC-1000 has a temperature probe that you put in your tank. In the Amazon link you posted, the second picture shows the probe with wire leads.

It has relay contacts for heating and cooling. You set the trigger temperature and hysteresis and it will monitor the temp and turn on the heating or cooling device to maintain the set temperature.

It's not as simple as plugging the fan into the back. You have to wire it properly. There are lots of examples on google and YouTube. If you get really stuck, I'm sure I can walk you through it.

@Jadenlea,

STC 1000 installation looks difficult if you try manual only but take this advice and check below installation video as most of the people including me followed that for STC 1000 wiring. ıt's really simple once you watch it and do as stopping per levels. :)

I've got two stc-1000 for my 20g, and 10g I've cut them into partition wall next to the tanks and hide all wiring inside the wall, it wasn't hard for me to make it because I'm a builder. It look smart because only I see are two red digital displays flush with the wall like on my fridge in the kitchen and temperature only fluctuate + -0.3 degree. I'm using 12v pc tower fans 3 on 20g and 2 on 10g, they very effective and cooling on 0.3 degree for approximately 5min. I think it's very important constant temperature for shrimp tanks and highly recommend for you guys who doesn't have it yet.

I am using al30 mini chiller for 10l nano. My location of my tank is somewhat undesirable. It is beside my window and sun is coming in during the day, my water in tank can reach up to 32degree room temperature at that location. Previously armed with a fan, i only managed 29 cooled.

So i thought a chiller should suffice, but it seemed the cooling efficiency is not so good. I have seen my 25 cooled water rise to 27.8 by noon or after lunch. The mini chiller has a problem keeping the desired 25 temp.

Also, i have no kick out phase as i set the temp at 24.5 , making it running 24/7. I am still keeping my fingers crossed to see if anything can be done.

Really what it costs to run a chiller your better off investing in AC. Chillers are termrible at energy use. The only time I would consider one is on an expensive reef under metal halides. With shrimp its cheaper to hear/cool a room.