hullo! nanotank shrimper here

giadda

Hi all!

As the title suggests, I'm a newbie shrimper and just got into the aquascaping world. I've always marveled at the aquascaped tanks via Google searches but never got into the hobby, until now.

I do have other finances so my budget was a little low to start with, so my nano tank's quite new with very few plants for now. I'm hoping it will flourish soon.

Here's my current nano tank setup:

30x17x20 cm glass tank

JEBO 501 filter

JEBO JB-13 lamp

soil and plants were left to the aquascaper.

Since I didn't know my plants, sorry, I'm posting some pics here. Wanted to cycle the tank first but my aquascaper friend gifted me with free 6 shrimpies, so freebies are most welcome. Planning to add more soon, but not sure if the tank's good to go yet.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me identifying my plants (lol) and if I have female/male shrimps, that would be great too.

I do welcome feedback and constructive criticism.

my super low tech nano tank:

C6vGPCyl.jpg

my unknown plants lol

wiZSz0R.jpg

shrimpies

i0gwSl1l.jpg

more shrimpies

NKUZhedl.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Welcome Giadda! We are glad to have you. The stem plant is Rotala Rotundifolia, the grass type is Dwarf Sagittaria, and the small plant in your substrate might be HC, or Dwarf Baby Tears hard to tell by the picture though.

Hi there.  Welcome to the group!!!

awww, thanks for the warm welcome jaden!

Welcome.

have a gneiss day

have a wonderful and gneiss day to you too, meta!

Welcome can help with the plants but I see male and female shrimp though grats

weee there are? yippee!! I do hope they'll do their thing soon, I want to have shrimp-lets swimming around. Thanks for the warm welcome and the good news feder!

Welcome Giadda! We are glad to have you. The stem plant is Rotala Rotundifolia, the grass type is Dwarf Sagittaria, and the small plant in your substrate might be HC, or Dwarf Baby Tears hard to tell by the picture though.

Oh, thank you so much for the very very very helpful info on my plants, lol. Thanks too for the warm welcome! I did request HC, and I do hope they are HC. :)

Welcome! You've just joined a great community with awesome people!!

-Duffy

Awww, thanks Duffy! Loving the warm welcome!

Howdy, getting ready to start out Nano style myself. Just ordered a Fluval Spec V and the start of things to get it cycled properly.

Cool! We'll be newbie shrimp mates then, Rod! ^^

Welcome, tank looks nice :)

Yay, thanks for the sweet compliment lover!

Welcome!

Thanks your fishy majesty of CA! :)

a quick update of my tank.
> bought HC and planted them. i know they might not be ideal for gravel and mineralized topsoil, but i just hope these plants do carpet.
> also bought cabombas for the back so my shrimpies have more plants to hide in.
> changed my filter to an Ista F100 hang on sponge filter

here's an updated pic of my tank uhm, pardon the background, as i've put my nanotank above my ref.
4N4FVDNl.jpg

picture of the berried one i bought from the LFS (really hope she carries those eggs to term). hope i get shrimplets in 3 weeks or less
p5oLNCGl.jpg

cute shrimp couple? sharing the SANYU shrimp vitality feeds i bought from the LFS
waXX45al.jpg

my feeder minibowl, which I hope will attract more attention in the long run. shrimpies prefer to hang back in my cabombas.
LtD8KjNl.jpg

uhm, may have picked up some unwelcome stragglers with my HC purchase. are they good to share the tank with my shrimpies? need help identifying them too please
KJfwHT5l.jpg

I do need help with a few questions:

1. I've bought the API PH tester, and I've settled on using Catappa or Indian Almond Leaves as I've read they help lower down the PH, but it's been 10 days, and PH's still at 7.8 - 8. Do I need to buy something else to lower down the PH?

2. I'm seeing several saddled shrimpets, but I can't seem to get them in the mood to "do their thing". I've done a 20% water change 3 days ago, but no dice. Any suggestions to get them in the mood to mate?

3. Do female shrimpies hide more than the males? I've found that my males are high and mighty strolling about the tank, but my beautiful red shrimpets are hiding underneath the stones more often.

4. Heard HC needs CO2 and am considering dosing flourish excel. But with saddled and berried shrimpets, I'm hesitant though. Any thoughts?

5. My tank's water is greenish brown, what with the Indian Almond Leaves. Since they're not lowering the PH as I planned, I'm planning to remove them. Should this clear my tank water? I'd love to take pictures of my tank with clearer water and share the love to my non-shrimp tank loving friends who've called me weird for my new hobby, lol.

I really can't wait for my shrimplets.

Once again, any suggestions or feedback is most welcome!

To answer your questions

1. Indian Almond leaves have a very small effect on pH unless you use tons of them. They will not effect pH at all if you have kH values of over 2.

2. There is nothing you can really do to force breeding, some breeders do like to do large frequent water changes to simulate rains in the wild where water will be diluted with rainwater. Just keep the shrimp healthy and they will breed when they are ready. I do not do large frequent water changes because this can casue water parameter changes which in a nano tank can be very stressful and cause deaths.

3. If a shrimp is getting ready to molt, has just molted or is holding eggs shrimp will be more elusive.  But I have never noticed any difference between male and female behavior in general.

4. I have used Excel in my shrimp tanks with no adverse effects I usually dose half the recomended strength. When it come to the HC I have never grown it and Excel might not be sufficient.

5. IAL will cause tannins to darken the water to brown, green is not from IAL and sounds like an algae bloom.  Removing the leaves will not make the water clean up, the only way to remove the tannins is water changes and or adding Purigen.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your questions

1. Indian Almond leaves have a very small effect on pH unless you use tons of them. They will not effect pH at all if you have kH values of over 2.

2. There is nothing you can really do to force breeding, some breeders do like to do large frequent water changes to simulate rains in the wild where water will be diluted with rainwater. Just keep the shrimp healthy and they will breed when they are ready. I do not do large frequent water changes because this can casue water parameter changes which in a nano tank can be very stressful and cause deaths.

3. If a shrimp is getting ready to molt, has just molted or is holding eggs shrimp will be more elusive.  But I have never noticed any difference between male and female behavior in general.

4. I have used Excel in my shrimp tanks with no adverse effects I usually dose half the recomended strength. When it come to the HC I have never grown it and Excel might not be sufficient.

5. IAL will cause tannins to darken the water to brown, green is not from IAL and sounds like an algae bloom.  Removing the leaves will not make the water clean up, the only way to remove the tannins is water changes and or adding Purigen.

Thanks RyeGuy! Appreciate the answers to each question.. I've followed your advice, and instead of halving the Excel dose, I've removed it completely.. I'm planning on doing another tank, so I'll grow HC there instead..

You were right, removing the IAL didn't clear my tank up.. Only a water change helped with that.

Oh, and I just left my tank and resisted the urge to fidget around with the tank. Thankfully, I've seen at least 3 more berried shrimpets now :D

Looks like I missed your entrance, but welcome anyway. :)

Awwww, thanks very much! That was a very soothing welcome :P