My Black Spotted headed shrimp is berried

So Im not sure what goes into the making of these black spotted headed shrimps....anyone enlighten

me? 

I just found my big gal is berried! I thought this would never happen!

I don't know if the daddy is my black pinto male, or one of the other black spotted head males, or one of my fancy Red Tigers....time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Black headed Pinto gal is getting pretty near her time, so I grabbed a shot of her eggs with and without the flash.

You can see the eggs clearly against the light of the tank, but with the flash they get hidden under her shell.

I think I can see eyes now.

1196tea.jpg

Yes you are right she's not a PINTO but a spotted headed mischling, carrying the Pinto genes.

I do have a Black Pinto male in the tank, so there is a very good chance that she and the other female be carrying some

pinto offspring, or at best more spotted headed mischlings.

From the look of the egg color I don't see anything red on them, so Im thinking the daddy is probably one of the other black spotted pinto heads or the black Pinto himself. Of course time will tell...I figure she's due this week sometime....she's a pushy broad, she shoves the other berried female around out of her way :blink:   Guess she likes her space.

• 4 weeks later...

I was away for a week and came back to find both of my berried females have nothing inside, so they have dropped the babies somewhere in the tank.  I did notice 3 little ones so far, mostly hiding in the moss/driftwood, so they can only be a few days old

One is definitely a Spottedhead, but I can't tell if its red or black...my pic is very fuzzy, but you can see the spots on the head.  the other one looks like it has a head spot, but again too far away to tell what it is.

maybe in a few more days more will come out....going to do a water change today and feed some gravidas for the babies

I won't eliminate the ramshorn!   That's not a ramshorn, its a pond snail, or commonly known as bladder snails....pest that multiplies till your tank is overrun.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/physa-acuta-the-acute-pond-snail-5769.html

I usually keep them to feed to my crayfish babies, as the meat is high in protein and helps them grow.

Congratulations on the shrimplets! Look forward to them maturing and their color enhancing.

Maybe we're talking about two different things?  Are you saying this is a pond snail?  Looks like a ramshorn from here.

attachicon.giframshorn jpg.jpg

I agree. Ramshorn snails have the "Ramshorn" circular shell, whereas the pond snail do not.

OH maybe it was a baby ramshorn....they stay the pondies go, they've had babies all over my red tiger tank and I just hate them.

Now the big mamma spotted head shrimp is berried again...must have happened last night as she wasn't yesterday YAY!

now here's another 2 babies I found this am....I could be dead wrong on this one, but one of them actually looks like a PINTO!  It has a black nose, white head, then black section and the white has black sections in

between.  Tiny but I could see them, unfortunately my camera isn't the greatest.

what do you think?    Im thinking my black Pinto male is the daddy now.

29bg4er.jpg

Here's another one I found, and this one is definitely red!     This was taken from underneath as the baby was eating the algae on the glass side and I couldn't get in close enough to grab a photo from the front....definitely shows its red, and some form of striping.  Time will tell as to what it will be....could be a fancy red tiger x black spotted head mischling, as I had 2 females berried at the same time to unknown fathers.

2m7yjiv.jpg

Woohoo....I saw my little pinto baby today.   Its definitely black and white german style.  the one on the left in the pic above.  I think the babies are all hiding in the drifwood eating off the hair algae growing on it.

I took a fuzzy pic of it, not good, but you can see the markings are pinto.

29bg4er.jpg

vrr7ea.jpg