Adding More Oxygen

Shrimpie

Hi guys - Almost done cycling my 22 gal tank - using SL Aqua method.  What is the best way I can add more oxygen to the tank - don't really want to use air stones. There must be a better way to get more oxygen into the water for the shrimp babies welfare. Any suggestions?

Have something like eheim jets above water level shooting down into the water. This will cause a surge or air to rush into the water  forming air bubbles, but this method is VERY loud.

Or get a bubble choice an attach it to the spray bar of the ehiem. Tons of post already about this so just search and you can find examples.

Kind of like this:

I just don't know how much oxygen an air stone actually gets into the "body" of the water - or just puts bubbles in that one little area where the air stone is.  I could also be wrong about this.

As I understand it, the goal of the air stone is to run it near the bottom of the tank to help with water turnover.  The air bubbles help "pull" or churn that water at the bottom up to the top.  The bubbles break the surface, and that causes the gaseous exchange to happen.  The purpose of the air isn't to directly add O2 to the water, but to promote the gaseous exchange process at the surface which in turn helps increase the O2 level in the tank.  I'm sure there are much better scientific explanations that what I just gave there, but from my reading and understanding, that is the layman terms gist of it.

An airstone makes a big difference. I learned this real quick when I first started keeping fish because they had an HOB filter an still would come to the surface to gulp air, but as soon as I placed an airstone it was like night an day difference.

I know a few places that run airstone's in drinking water and the taste is instantly noticeable. The water has this lightness to it and can even get a sweet flavor when using wooden airstone's.

I second GreenTeam, if your using a canister filter, purchase a Bubble Choice from Han Aquatics! I have noticed first hand the amount of Taiwan Bee shrimplets surviving has at least tripled.

If I don't use a canister or HOB filter, how do I use the choice bubbler?  I use Hamburg Matten Filter that is run by an air pump.

If I don't use a canister or HOB filter, how do I use the choice bubbler?  I use Hamburg Matten Filter that is run by an air pump.

I responded on another thread regarding the Choice Bubbler, here was my response: 

"Shrimpie, thats a good question, I would assume if the diameter of your output is the same as the Eheim 2213 output it should work. The only problem I would foresee is water pressure, some HMF I have seen don't have enough pressure. Guess it depends on your pump."

So Citycode - does that Söchting Mini Oxydator  really work?

these are probably one of my most popular products... I have plenty of clients who swear by them.  All have said they've noticed an increase in baby survival among other things.

http://www.discobee.com/collections/shrimp-tank-supplies/products/sochting-oxydator-mini

I have a mini oxydator in my 20g. I use one catalyst and have to refill it about once a week. I'd go with the next size up which I believe is the "D". Cost wise it may a better choice to upgrade your pump. Are you using the Swiss Tropics jetlifter with your HMF?

If you have sponge filter in the tank already, you are fine.

I never have issue that I have at least one sponge filter in all my tanks.

as my standard setup:

10G, one 4.25" cube sponge filter.

20L, one 4.25 cube sponge filter + AC50 HOB (no foam, all eheim balls.) with pre-filter.

I keep all TB, PRL, CWS and YKK in this setup.

No reason you need any extra.

Mayphly - yes I do use the jetlifter with the HMF corner filter.  And also with the 8x4x4 tower filter. And I use a tetra whisper 40 pump and split off to the HMF and the tower filter.  Perhaps I should use a separate pump for each or use a bigger pump.

That might not be a bad idea. I would think the jet lifter produces more than adequate O2 bubbles. My HMF are hooked up to my closed air loop and I barely need to open the taps to get them to move the water. Just curious, do you keep the jet lifter submerged or above the water? I keep mine above the water. I'm not sure it really matters.