Only 1 remains :( Lots of shrimp deaths

nevesj98

Hello shrimpkeepers :(

So, ive had a terrible experience with shrimps recently i ordered 10 from shrimp visions, they came as shrimplets and only one survived, then i ordered 10 juveniles from a local breeder and they died 1 by 1 until i only had(and still have) the shrimp from shrimp visions left

What can be the cause of the death?

The shrimps are tb mischlings

The tank is 17 liters

I have java moss and some echinodorus green in the tank,the parameters are:

Ph 6.4

Kh 1

Gh 7

I also have some spider wood with some algae, but the shrimps feed on it so i dont think thats the cause

Have a nice day

My nitrites and amonia are at 0,nitrates i dont know

Has been set since august and cycled half way trough december, im using tap water but i will get ro asap, since im 17 and i dont want my parents to pay for my hobbys, i need to save for each investment so i cant get an ro unit as fast as i wished, probably only next month

Yes Jaykidding is right, you can't keep caridinia in tap water, tap water is not even good for neos. Switch to RO water and buy Salty shrimp GH+ to make ideal water for your tank. 17L is also very small tank for caridinia, I wouldn't recommend a tank less than 35L, 10G is better. The water parameters can swing a lot in small tank and it's harder to control.

The tank is 20L, i said 17 because i think its whats left because of the spider wood, substrate, rocks , heater etc

So...i should get the bee shrimp gh+ or only shrimp gh+? can i do distilled instead of RO

I have to say, if you are only 17 and you're not only doing this yourself but financing it as well, more power to you and I'm that much more excited that you are in this group. Just hang in there, you can buy RO water usually in a grocery store for pretty cheap. Sometimes tap water will have anomolies in it that escape our tests. Many of us have had problems with it. That being said, there is at least one member of this group that has Crystals in tap water and is quite successful. The problem is that we can't test for absolutely everything so your tap might contain something you wouldn't even think of.

As for your lone survivor, make use of tjose genetics when you start breeding. You will add to the hardiness of your colony with shrimp survivors.

You need to switch the water slowly like bit by bit very day or every other day. Don't chnge it at once it will probably kill your shrimp. 20l still very small tank, smaller the tank harder to controlling stable water parameters. When you do wc use an air tubing and very slowly drip new water into the tank. I normally change 20% every second week.

The topic i asked how to switch to RO a user said this would be how to

Siphon water till 2-3cm away from substrate.

Add RO water and mineralizer into tank.

If u added mineralizer into RO water beforehand, you don't have to wait a few hours.

Wait a few hours, acclimate shrimp and add some bacteria boosting product like Stability.

Should i do it like this?

The problem is not "stability of the parameters" because they are stable, they are not shrimp optimal for the shrimps but there are no peaks or sudden drops in any parameter

The problem is not "stability of the parameters" because they are stable, they are not shrimp optimal for the shrimps but there are no peaks or sudden drops in any parameter

Ok you can ignore my advise and do whatever you think is best for you, I was just trying to share my experience and give you good advise.

What substrate are you using?

Type of filtration?

Since you're 17, im assuming API pH test? That's highly inaccurate. It could say 6.4 pH but really it's way lower.

Most do recommend 0 KH by using RO water.

Be sure to let your parents know about the RO unit before buying as you will most likely need your parents help on installing it and your water bill sure will increase :)

Since these are TB Mischlings, I highly recommend ShrimpyDaddy's product line or SS GH+

http://www.theshrimptank.com/water-conditioners/salty-shrimp-bee-shrimp-gh/

http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/collections/all

No offense to anyone else here, but I'm voting that you'll be able to install that unit without any trouble. My nephews rebuilt cars with no trouble at all at 17 and better than their father in many cases. I see an expert coming and us reading your publications and watching your videos some day.

No offense to anyone else here, but I'm voting that you'll be able to install that unit without any trouble. My nephews rebuilt cars with no trouble at all at 17 and better than their father in many cases. I see an expert coming and us reading your publications and watching your videos some day.

Thats assuming that all the adapters and stuff match what you have a home.

None of the adapters matched what I have below sink and had to buy them myself.

Everyone has their own special talents/skills.

I started my own business at 17 but doubt every other 17 year old can.

The ph test is one of those "stripe" ones that change colours which points to 6.4 which matches with the values registered on the water company for my city (Lisbon, Portugal)

The type of filtration is a hang-on filter with the sponges it came with , i actually pay attention to the filter  very often due to tanins from the spider wood ^^ 

And yeah if i get one RO unit its gonna be a portable one so i think i can install it by my own ehehehh, my parents will know as i pay also for a little bit of the water bill and eletricity since i set up the tank.

The substracte is for planted tanks (yeah i know probably not the best choice) :/ covered by black soil .

Thats assuming that all the adapters and stuff match what you have a home.

None of the adapters matched what I have below sink and had to buy them myself.

Everyone has their own special talents/skills.

I started my own business at 17 but doubt every other 17 year old can.

The ones who can't are for sure the ones who dont try :D 

Well , I've been thinking about it and noticed that the water from my tank is more suitable for tiger shrimp, should i try it ? with a small amount first 5 like shrimps , its not what i wanted , i wanted TB mischlings but this way im sure to keep the last Surviror around since i dont change water parameters and he gets still a group of friends to play with ahahahah then in the future, now that i learned with my mistakes i can set up a proper bee shrimp tank, what do you think?