Mulberry leaves

fishlover

I think most here use them, if they have access to them. I would wash the leaves, before putting them in the tank just to make sure you are not poisoning the shrimps.

A quick boil helps break leaves down a little bit, but they still attack fresh leaves just the same.  

Hooray for leaf litter! 

Unlike many leaves which need to break down first and generate biofilm before the shrimp like them, Mulberry can be fed fresh same as you would do with say stinging nettle. 

It is funny you mention that because we have been looking at and thinking of ordering dwarf mulberry trees for that purpose.

Me too, but I worry about pesticides. Let me know if you find a good organic source!

I was considering starting from seeds, but I think it would be a big challenge...

Wygglz, your welcome. I've tried growing mulberry plants 3 times. I failed at them every time. My thumb just ain't that green I suppose.

Wygglz, your welcome. I've tried growing mulberry plants 3 times. I failed at them every time. My thumb just ain't that green I suppose.

I have a dwarf orange, dwarf grapefruit, and super dwarf banana so I think I'll try mulberry.

Has anyone here tried to grow mulberry themselves indoors?

Or amaranth?

Sarah, I have amaranth growing indoors....I will say it grows outdoors much better. I brought it in as the temps dropped, it is still doing well just not growing as fast as before. I'm hoping I can successfully keep it through the winter (it gets very dry here). It is a beautiful plant, could very easily be planted decoratively. The smaller pot I started and kept indoors has grown much less but is still cute :)

My shrimp take to it quite well.....I'm still experimenting on how much to dry it out prior to feeding. The dried leaves float for a day or two, but I've recently taken to placing it in the end of teddy bear cholla to get it submerged immediately.

I'll pull the link of the seeds I used and post a pic when I get home. I plan on comparing my amaranth to Tantora leaves and will post findings once I've done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah, I have amaranth growing indoors....I will say it grows outdoors much better. I brought it in as the temps dropped, it is still doing well just not growing as fast as before. I'm hoping I can successfully keep it through the winter (it gets very dry here). It is a beautiful plant, could very easily be planted decoratively. The smaller pot I started and kept indoors has grown much less but is still cute :)

My shrimp take to it quite well.....I'm still experimenting on how much to dry it out prior to feeding. The dried leaves float for a day or two, but I've recently taken to placing it in the end of teddy bear cholla to get it submerged immediately.

I'll pull the link of the seeds I used and post a pic when I get home. I plan on comparing my amaranth to Tantora leaves and will post findings once I've done so.

Thanks- that would be awesome!

Any info on the seeds I'm really interested in trying to grow one of these plants.

I used the amaranth seeds from the below link, at the time they were $5.99.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYH38HI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Below is a pic of the plant:

fy1mr8.jpg

I'll post a picture of dried leaves and feeding at a later time (probably tomorrow).

I used the amaranth seeds from the below link, at the time they were $5.99.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYH38HI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Below is a pic of the plant:

fy1mr8.jpg

I'll post a picture of dried leaves and feeding at a later time (probably tomorrow).

Nice plants. If it works, much cheaper than buying it.

How long does it take to get that size??