Shipping temperatures

Pokeshrimp

It really does have to do with how the seller packs. The more insulation, the better.

The heat packs also have to be special, and not made for humans. Those get too hot. On the flipside, if the pet heat packs are not packaged correctly, the accumulation of heat can cook your shrimp.

Shipping during winter can be tricky, but if you are going with an experienced shipper you'll probibly be fine. Just be sure to ask their DOA policy.

Exactly what Soothing said! Depends on your seller, most of us package quite well, just keep in mind if you ask for a heat pack be sure to check the sellers temperature as well. Seller could have temperatures around 75 and you may have snow.

I just got an order from Soothing that got held up for almost a week. While we aren't below 0 here, it is below freezing and they arrived a bit stressed but fine. Not one loss. But if you think about it, unless your mail is delivered to an outside box at your home, they probably went from a heated building to a heated truck, to a heated plane, etc. And we don't get mail delivery here so they wait at the post office. Aside from short periods in transport (that is what insulation is for) they are probably fairly temperature controlled. Btw, this is theview from someone who has recieved shipments, but not a shipper (yet).

Thanks for all the replies! It's been around 50 degrees here and they are mailed to a box outside. But I'm home all day so they don't sit in there for too long. I'll probably order some once i find some good looking yellows from a reputable seller.

Try asking on the forum here in the market section.  I always recommend hobbyists first because they know the background of their shrimp, and are serious about good husbandry.  The members here are typically pretty honest.

A couple hints to help you-

• Look at their number of posts.  Someone who posts often probably won't do you wrong.  They have a reputation to maintain.

• Look at feedback.  While one may not have many if any negative feedback due to paranoia, if they have lots of positive feedback- they are probably doing something right.

• Ask for a picture of their colony.  Often only the best shrimp is pictured to sell their shrimp.  Perhaps their whole colony doesn't look like that one.  Also, some shady sellers will use someone else's picture to sell their shrimp.  If you have suspicions, you can be bold and ask for a note with the date to be in the picture of their colony to make sure it is their picture.

• You can also just gamble.  Sometimes you know a deal will happen if you don't act fast.  In that case you can do the quick deal, but be prepared for the shrimp to come in not at all what you expected.  In other words, hope for the best, but expect the worst- and you won't be disappointed.

I just got an order from Soothing that got held up for almost a week. While we aren't below 0 here, it is below freezing and they arrived a bit stressed but fine. Not one loss. But if you think about it, unless your mail is delivered to an outside box at your home, they probably went from a heated building to a heated truck, to a heated plane, etc. And we don't get mail delivery here so they wait at the post office. Aside from short periods in transport (that is what insulation is for) they are probably fairly temperature controlled. Btw, this is theview from someone who has recieved shipments, but not a shipper (yet).

Thanks for the kudos. :)

It makes sense it would be that way, however unfortunately the packages are often thrown into the back of an unheated truck that gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. 

And I'm not positive, but I think the cargo bay in a plane is pressurized, but no heat either.  So you can see how important insulation is for aquatic health.  :coldb:

I received some shrimp last week from Mayphly. Some how mailman was able to squeeze the box in the my mail box. The temps were in the mid 30's and they sat for at least 3 hours outside. When I open the shrinp box the water temp was 59 but they all made it just fine. I slowly dripped them for 3 hours. If the shipper packs real well then ABQ temps wont be bad. I know it snowed yesterday in ABQ but you know it could be freezing one day the next its 70.

Thanks for the kudos. :)

It makes sense it would be that way, however unfortunately the packages are often thrown into the back of an unheated truck that gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. 

And I'm not positive, but I think the cargo bay in a plane is pressurized, but no heat either.  So you can see how important insulation is for aquatic health.  :coldb:

Cargo is heated to prevent freezing, if not temps would be in the minus 40's and damage or ruin produtcs being shipped.

Shrimp can be shipped all year around. 

experienced seller will check your local weather before packing. add heat pack/cold pack if needed.

some may ask for extra charge for the heat/cold pack.

I had very expensive sensitive shrimp delivered this past February daytime high was 14F all survived and were fine. Cold weather is actually better since the shrimp metabolism slows down. Their respiration slows along with waste production.

If you are buying expensive shrimps it might be a good idea to ask the seller if he/she provides phase 22 pack, which keeps the shipping package temperature between 68-72f. The cheapest phase 22 pack (6oz) is around $4.00 each.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you are buying expensive shrimps it might be a good idea to ask the seller if he/she provides phase 22 pack, which keeps the shipping package temperature between 68-72f. The cheapest phase 22 pack (6oz) is around $4.00 each.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

How many hours will these last?

I don't use heat packs unless it's under 20 deg fahrenheit. I have found that the 2" R6.7 insulation works best.

The phase 22 pack is a heat/cold pack in one. It will keep temps stable if its to warm or to cold. Heck Andrew when I start buying your high dollar shrimps this spring I will send you these packs just for a piece of mind. Whats $4 when spending a few hundred on shrimps.

http://www.tsksupply.com/phase-22/