Hikari shrimp vs crab

Kikojaharo

Hello!

I'm going to add animal protein to my shrimp's diet, and I'm debating between shrimp cuisine or crab cuisine. Glancing at the ingredients, the shrimp seems to be more nutritious, but from what I've gathered in the forums, there's a majority of people using crab cuisine.

Any reason for the preference?

I'm currently feeding veggie sticks w/calcium.

I've tried both, in multiple tanks. In EVERY tank, they didn't touch the shrimp pellets, but were having showcase showdowns over the crab.

No idea as to why. I've given up on the shrimp version, and now use the crab a few times a month.

doesn't the crab one just have more protein if I can recall correctly? plus everyone freaks out with the small amount of copper in the shrimp cuisine.

According to the analysis, shrimp has 35, and crab has 31. There's also more variety in the types of protein, which is why I was wondering why the crab was favored, the copper and the taste factor dr0p mentioned makes sense though.

My shrimp eat both but I give them these foods only maybe once a month. I do think that you can find better shrimp food for same money (check Han's food). Even though my shrimp eat both as I said I prefer shrimp food only because the pieces are very small and shrimp will not fight for the food but each has itsown piece.

About copper. People afraid of it but I read somewhere (maybe Hikari research, so it can be marketing?) that shrimp actually need some copper for their health. And unless you use RO/DI water only you can find some traces (undetectable) of copper almost in any tap water. And just for the record I use Seachem ferts in my shrimp tanks (just a drop or a few, depending on the tank's size) and some of them contain copper.

My shrimp prefer the crab cuisine as well for some reason.

Also, I remember there was a huge fuss when the hobby started about copper in the food or even the potential of it leeching from copper pipes most folks have. Most of it was unfounded. It seems shrimp do need some copper to transport oxygen in their blood. Humans need iron and shrimp need copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Most of the shrimp we keep (commonly kept Neos and Caridinas) are omnivores, but the majority of their diet should be herbivorous/vegetable matter (from what I have read), which the shrimp cuisine is more of, in comparison to the more "carnivorous", meat proteins in crab cuisine.

With that said, the crab cuisine would be more appropriate for the predator/hunter, "carnivorous" (still omnivores, but prefer a diet of meat proteins rather than vegetable/plant proteins) type shrimps/prawns and crabs (probably assassin snails as well).