Opae Ula tank

Shrimpo

What ph are these guys comfortable at and what salt did you use?

-Duffy

I haven't test any parameters yet, these shrimp can live in a wide range of salinity levels so I am not worried too much about PH.

I used distilled water and Natural Sea Salt Mix made by Oceanic, you can use any salt designed for saltwater and reef aquariums.

The 3 snails and 2 hermit crabs arrived today, 1 of each was not moving at all but after few hours the snail turned out to be still alive.

The hermit crabs are so tiny, the one didn't make it has the bigger shell which will be the next home for the other hermit crab.

From the pictures you can see 2 tiny crabs, the one on the left is alive and grazing on algae,  on the background there is an empty saltwater bumblebee snail shell, it's about 1" which give you the idea about the hermit crab size. 

The snails are doing great job polishing the rocks and tank walls.

post-184-0-61525900-1448942602_thumb.jpgpost-184-0-83436600-1448942613_thumb.jpgpost-184-0-56673600-1448942626_thumb.jpg

Wow.  Those hermits are small compared to what I was thinking they'd send.  Should be neat to watch those snails grow.

You can find these hermit crabs by the thousands during low tide in the south pacific. They can live in conditions you wouldn't think possible. I've seen them in shallow pools maybe two inches deep and as big around as a hub cap with water temps reaching 100 degrees.

If they can low tide pools then I dont see why they couldnt handle your tank

The only thing I'm worried about is their max salinity. If they are in tide pools often I'm not sure if they could handle a salinity closer to the oceans (with rainfall etc). Now I also don't know jack about them, but may try them anyways :). I don't really have anything that would eat them.

-Duffy

The only thing I'm worried about is their max salinity. If they are in tide pools often I'm not sure if they could handle a salinity closer to the oceans (with rainfall etc). Now I also don't know jack about them, but may try them anyways :). I don't really have anything that would eat them.

-Duffy

They live in the same water conditions as Opae Ula shrimp, that is brackish most of the time but when the pools water evaporate the salinity level can reach beyond 1.023.

They live in the same water conditions as Opae Ula shrimp, that is brackish most of the time but when the pools water evaporate the salinity level can reach beyond 1.023.

That's all I needed to hear haha. Opae Ulas will be my next "project" haha

-Duffy

For saltwater tank get dwarf blue legs hermit crabs, they are fun to watch but may bother some corals.

Already have some :). I had some snails too. Before they ate them... Feed them a few times a week and they reward you by eating your snails

b345ea2408c6a871bf923f75bab0b8d7.jpg

-Duffy