Need help choosing a species of Neo for my new shrimp tank!

edishrimp

Hi, I've recently bought a tank and it has been 1 week into its cycle. I'm really thinking of adding other types of neos instead of regular cherry shrimp into the tank. Any suggestions? I have seen some pretty nice Black King Kong's and blue jelly shrimp at my LFS recently but they're a little on the expensive side so I wanna make sure I get things right from the start before I lose any of them.

98f911ac4ea74ccf44bfdd2c9cbf347d.jpg

(Don't worry about the angel, I'll be removing him after my cycling is done)

Tanks specs:

5.6 gallonns

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm

pH: 6.4

Temp: 26-28°c

Plants: Amazon sword, riccia, Java moss, some long stem plants

Thanks for your help guys!

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

post-3236-144915870313_thumb.jpg

I know it's not what you asked, but are you using a seeded filter? If not, is there any way you can move those fish out now and do a fishless cycle?

As for neos, I don't have anything but cherries...  but I really love the blue shrimp varieties and would probably do those instead if I could go back in time!

I know it's not what you asked, but are you using a seeded filter? If not, is there any way you can move those fish out now and do a fishless cycle?

As for neos, I don't have anything but cherries... but I really love the blue shrimp varieties and would probably do those instead if I could go back in time!

The filter is kinda new. I only added some ceramic rings from my other mature tank into it. As for bacterial additives I've added some Borneo wild balance and some seachem prime to keep ammonia and nitrites at bay for now. I'm constantly testing the water to make sure the fish in the tank are safe [emoji3]

Hi, I've recently bought a tank and it has been 1 week into its cycle. I'm really thinking of adding other types of neos instead of regular cherry shrimp into the tank. Any suggestions? I have seen some pretty nice Black King Kong's and blue jelly shrimp at my LFS recently but they're a little on the expensive side so I wanna make sure I get things right from the start before I lose any of them.

98f911ac4ea74ccf44bfdd2c9cbf347d.jpg

(Don't worry about the angel, I'll be removing him after my cycling is done)

Tanks specs:

5.6 gallonns

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm

pH: 6.4

Temp: 26-28°c

Plants: Amazon sword, riccia, Java moss, some long stem plants

Thanks for your help guys!

Beautiful angel .

Love your tank! :) You've got a dark substrate so I think Painted Fire/Fire Red shrimp or Yellows would be a beautiful bright pop of color for your setup if you're looking to stick with just Neos. Blue Neos are beautiful but I personally think they get a bit lost on darker substrate (just my personal opinion).

Love your tank! :) You've got a dark substrate so I think Painted Fire/Fire Red shrimp or Yellows would be a beautiful bright pop of color for your setup if you're looking to stick with just Neos. Blue Neos are beautiful but I personally think they get a bit lost on darker substrate (just my personal opinion).

Thanks! :) and that makes quite alot of sense. But if I keep both fire reds and yellows they will interbreed right? Then the risk of reverting back to wild variants will be there. Are yellow rillis neos too?

Thanks! :) and that makes quite alot of sense. But if I keep both fire reds and yellows they will interbreed right? Then the risk of reverting back to wild variants will be there. Are yellow rillis neos too?

Yes, yellow rillis are neos as well. I love the neon yellow on black. But yes, different neos will interbreed. You can mix tigers with them safely tho.

Yes. Sorry if my post was confusing! Reds and yellows will interbreed so you will want to pick one or the other. You could always do red neos and tangerine tigers. Then you can have red and yellow in the same parameters and you won't have to worry about interbreeding.

Also, I noticed in your tank specs you didn't mention TDS, GH or KH. It would be really beneficial for you to know those measurements also, especially if you want to invest in more expensive varieties/species down the road. :)

But for tigers and neos will they be very particular about things like TDS, GH and kh? And if so what would be a cost effective way of measuring them

You can get a cheap, reliable TDS meter on Amazon. Neos and tigers won't be as picky. But they do still have requirements. My water is really soft which caused problems for me. It's just a good thing to know. If you have access to some cheap neos you could always get one or two to test living in your current water parameters too. of course I'm just one of those "better safe than sorry" types. Lol

What substrate and filter do you have?

So you have not kept shrimp before?

Especially considering the small tank size, I'd really recommend you to start with some neos.

Well technically I have kept shrimp before in a small nano tank at work. But the entire tank crashed due to an ammonia spike so I decided to use it for fish instead.

Hi everyone! Here's a quick update on my shrimp tank! (As promised!)

I decided to swap out my GEXf1 corner filter in favour of a better more reliable HOB aquaclear 20 with a shrimp guard on the inlet as it was less intrusive for me to do maintanence on it and it seems to be the go to for most hobbyists.

I decided to go ahead and get myself a few yellow tigers as suggested by some of you and I think they're doing well. Here's a shot of one of them. I got a total of 4 of them (though one of them perished a few hours after adding him to the tank) post-3236-145002493998_thumb.jpeg

post-3236-145002495326_thumb.jpeg

Thinking of heading out tmr to go get myself more shrimp. Probably fire reds to complement them. I really hope to start and active colony so that I can see my shrimp more often! [emoji4]