Blue Neos

I want to try my hand at Neos but I always preferred the blue hues. I have looked on multiple sites and auctions with just about every mix match named for every shade of blue lol. 

Some of the more common names I saw:

-Blue Velvet

-Blue Dreams

-Blue Dream Velvet (I assume higher quality of last 2)

-Sea Sky Blue

-Blue Jelly

-Blue Diamond

-Blue Rili

-Carbon Blue

-Blue Pearl

-Cobalt Blue

Now the crazy thing is half of this guys look identical to each other just with a different name and sometimes higher price tag....

So who here has blue Neo's that knows which one's are a nice aqua color? I don't need them to be ultra dark because I want to pair them in my Royal Blue Tiger tank so I want lighter blue that will pop next to the dark blue of the royals.

I was going to make a post about this when I started looking to blues!

As far as I can tell, there's 4 lines; please tell me if if I'm right, I want to get this down!

See-through sky blue shrimp:

1. Blue pearl, which comes from N. palmata

2. Blue velvet, coming from a mutation off a blue rili (N. heteropoda)

Dark blues:

3. Blue dream, a velvet selected for darker color (N. heteropoda)

4. Blue diamond, from the chocolate shrimp line (N. heteropoda)

Is this correct?

I've also seen some "blueberry shrimp" that the wild coloration is a blueish purple?

I was going to make a post about this when I started looking to blues!

As far as I can tell, there's 4 lines; please tell me if if I'm right, I want to get this down!

See-through sky blue shrimp:

1. Blue pearl, which comes from N. palmata

2. Blue velvet, coming from a mutation off a blue rili (N. heteropoda)

Dark blues:

3. Blue dream, a velvet selected for darker color (N. heteropoda)

4. Blue diamond, from the chocolate shrimp line (N. heteropoda)

Is this correct?

I've also seen some "blueberry shrimp" that the wild coloration is a blueish purple?

Ive heard blue dreams come from blue carbon rilis?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ive heard blue dreams come from blue carbon rilis?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have no idea, this is where my research has gotten me so far! Sounds more plausible than if they came from blue velvets (would that mean velvet = jelly?)

There's too many names for a beginner! I was just a few weeks short of asking this question myself!

I've got Blue Velvet's and Blue Dreams. The Velvets are a much lighter blue, that would look great with RBT

From what i've gathered, Europe uses jelly, where we would call it velvet.  

Neos are my game. :) Let's see if we can straighten some confusion out.

To answer your last question, a sky blue color for neo is the classic BV.  Many sellers have caught onto the DBV or dark blue velvet craze, so you may have to look some to get classic BV.

Another nice one is Blue Pearl, which is Neo Palmata.  This has more of an ice blue look.  These are becoming rarer since most people have neo davidi (formerly heteropoda) for their colonies.

-Blue Velvet

-Blue Dreams

-Blue Dream Velvet (I assume higher quality of last 2)

-Sea Sky Blue

-Blue Jelly

-Blue Diamond

-Blue Rili

-Carbon Blue

-Blue Pearl

-Cobalt Blue

So my understanding is Blue Dreams are Blue Carbons that have been bred to be darker.

Blue Dream Velvet was a name invented to sell a blue shrimp and not a true strain, so genetics are unknown.  Regardless of the name, I do not believe this is a cross.

Blue Jelly (or Blue Fairy) was a name that was used in another country, and when the shrimp were brought here the name was changed to Blue velvet.

Blue Diamond is from the Chocolate diamond line.  It doesn't breed true and throws other colors as well.  To keep the line blue, much culling has to be done.

Two types of blue rili.  The first type was originally used to describe a red rili shrimp with blue tissue.  Then it was used to describe an all blue shrimp thrown by red rilis.  To avoid confusion people started calling the all blue shrimp blue rili, and the blue bodied red rili shrimp BBRR.  (To confuse even more, then the name blue rili was used to describe the occasional shrimp with blue pigmented rili pattern.)

Blue pearl, as was mentioned, is Palmata.  Blueberry is also Palmata, however the color is believed to come from diet, as these have changed color in the tanks and offspring do not breed true.

C-Sky is a name of a breeding company, not a blue shrimp.  The seller may try to sell the shrimp as c-sky blue shrimp though, which ultimately means nothing genetic-wise.

Cobalts, Wizards, and even my blue Sonic mutation I'm working on look like other shrimp, but genetics may be unknown.

I'd LOVE to see Fire Blues here like I've seen in other countries.  All blue pigmented shell that breeds true, but so far I've not seen it in the US.

Having said this, it is important to know the genetics of your shrimp.  If new shrimp that look the same are added from a different strain in the future, it may give you wilds.  Ie. I recently saw the result of Blue Dreams x BV give streaky brown wilds.

On the other hand, maybe a certain blue is dominant over another blue.

As someone said, welcome to the confusing world of blue neos. ;)

I have some, i have to say this is my favorite blue since they breed true unlike blue dreams that throw different patterns :(

Have some for sale $3 eachpost-583-0-79906900-1449625016_thumb.jpg

Blue pearl and blueberry are both a for of N. Palata's

Shrmip ricky post your blue velvet's in the "Marketpalce" They should sell as they're good lookin' shrimp.