Snails .. freind or foe ?

Purplepanda

Friends or Foe ?

I know this has probably been discussed many times here, but what are folks latest thoughts on keeping snails in a shrimp tank ? I'm talking about the common ramshorn snail here and not some special fancy type. Yes sure they quickly guzzle up all the extra left over food which must be good for your water quality, but they also seem to make a hell of a lot waste themselves and far more than our dainty shrimp make . If you have kept a few snails in a bucket for a day or so the amount of poo is substantial and then in the bucket they are not even eating. Any wisdom on this please ?    

I have use Ramshorn snails in all of my shrimp tanks. I find them more beneficial than not, also alot of time when they die my shrimp will make a snack of them.

Snails do poo a lot but I have them in all my planted tanks and they aren't a bother .

The only problem is if you breed fish that lay eggs as I have found snails can eat them .

I have mini moth cats and the snails and shrimp eat the eggs when they have spawned .

Other than that the snails aren't a pest and I'm pretty sure the shrimp eat the snail eggs .

Ok thanks guys so it seems then thumbs up for ramshorns, but they act as a good barometer if you are over feeding.

I'm spoiling my new Tb babies particularly over their vulnerable period so not surprisingly have seen an increase in snail numbers and the odd leech !

My main concern is that half the time they make a mockery of the idiom ... snail's pace, as the usually beat the shrimps to the food and can then quickly out muscle them and take over it . 

I accidentally found in one of my neo tanks that wasn't breeding, that if I added snails they suddenly became berried.  No idea why.  

I don't think you have the common ramshorn then, but a close cousin and highly sought after called Planorbidae aphrodisiacus :)

Ok thanks guys so it seems then thumbs up for ramshorns, but they act as a good barometer if you are over feeding.

I'm spoiling my new Tb babies particularly over their vulnerable period so not surprisingly have seen an increase in snail numbers and the odd leech !

My main concern is that half the time they make a mockery of the idiom ... snail's pace, as the usually beat the shrimps to the food and can then quickly out muscle them and take over it . 

Oh yes, snails will encircle that food . You can always remove some with a DIY trap here and there if you find to many .