Neo Substrate

I use this from Menards. 

1891331.jpg

$9 for 50 lbs

Black diamond I've seen also used.

A long time ago people were worried the edges were too sharp.  Now we all realize shrimp can go over shards of broken glass and because they are so light, they won't get hurt.

I personally just use black gravel. If you are going to have any plants in your tanks gravel would be better for them to root. If there is not going to be any plants with roots then I would just go with sand or blasting sand like Soothing posted above.

I like eco complete/floramax for neos

Thank for the reply! I will check them out.

I use black sand for my cherries, plants grow pretty well with root tabs in it, but it is a bit hard to vacuum well.

=^._.^=

Second black sand. The yellows look fantastic on the black. My plants grow fine and vacuuming takes some practice, but it is just a learning curve.

I'm also using black sand with yellow neos. The Nat geo sand is cheap but doesn't look as good as the carib sea one. I've also read people using black blasting sand after rinsing it a bit.

I think if I went with black sand, I would probably use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. It's magnetic, so it's horrible for HOB impellers, but I plan on having a canister. I have seen a pretty easy cleaning video by Jennie from SolidGold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlIwUUeCvuc

But my question is: do you have to vacuum it? Also, please see my next question below (I'm going to post it as a comment, not a reply.)

I use this from Menards. 

1891331.jpg

$9 for 50 lbs

Black diamond I've seen also used.

A long time ago people were worried the edges were too sharp.  Now we all realize shrimp can go over shards of broken glass and because they are so light, they won't get hurt.

I personally just use black gravel. If you are going to have any plants in your tanks gravel would be better for them to root. If there is not going to be any plants with roots then I would just go with sand or blasting sand like Soothing posted above.

Hmmm . . . . never heard of this stuff. Pretty cheap price! Wonder if Lowe's has it? If it has shards . . . . it can't cut the shrimp, but could it cut me? I am so accident prone, I'd probably find a way. :D

Okay, so my next question may or may not go in this category. I think it applies though.

I was thinking about creating a sort of hilly look. I guess like a valley. First of all, will this work with sand? And do I absolutely have to vacuum it? My main question, though, is if I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails to turn the sand, will they eventually even out the hills because of moving it too much? I don't want to try to do any of these things if someone already knows it won't end well! LOL

Since it is inert, it just depends on how deep you'll need for plants if you want that.

Nice, thanks!

Yeah even without mts the sand will eventually level out over time. If you want a hilly look, look into black lava rock.

Hmmm . . . the rocks seem kinda large! I'd kinda like something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYmu2FImE0

I have an HC carpet in my main tank and it takes ferts,co2, and high light to look good something that might effect rhw shrmip. My rcs culls seem to be doing just fine though. I did it was gravel and sand but plant specific substrate would make it grow in easier. But yea small hills like that are usually made with stuff underneath the substrate. Like pantyhose fill with sand or layered egg crates or something.

I have an HC carpet in my main tank and it takes ferts,co2, and high light to look good something that might effect rhw shrmip. My rcs culls seem to be doing just fine though. I did it was gravel and sand but plant specific substrate would make it grow in easier. But yea small hills like that are usually made with stuff underneath the substrate. Like pantyhose fill with sand or layered egg crates or something.

Interesting! Thanks!

• 1 month later...