Red Bolts or Not?

Hey ShrimpSpot!

In my Red Taiwan Bee tank, Wine and Ruby Reds only, I started noticing within the last couple batches of shrimplets quite a number of what appears to be Golden Bee shrimp. As they are maturing some seem to have an orangish/reddish hue but they are still shrimplets and hard to tell.

I have never mixed any of my Taiwan Bees with CRS/CBS/Golden/Snow White/etc. I have hundreds of Taiwan Bees that originated from 10 in September of 2014. I got them from Speedie Aquatics, who didn't have them mixed either. 

So is it possible these are Golden Bees or Red Bolts? Where would these genes come from, maybe from Blue Bolts prior to me separating TBs into Red/Blue/Black?

Thanks for your help!

Hey ShrimpSpot!

In my Red Taiwan Bee tank, Wine and Ruby Reds only, I started noticing within the last couple batches of shrimplets quite a number of what appears to be Golden Bee shrimp. As they are maturing some seem to have an orangish/reddish hue but they are still shrimplets and hard to tell.

I have never mixed any of my Taiwan Bees with CRS/CBS/Golden/Snow White/etc. I have hundreds of Taiwan Bees that originated from 10 in September of 2014. I got them from Speedie Aquatics, who didn't have them mixed either. 

So is it possible these are Golden Bees or Red Bolts? Where would these genes come from, maybe from Blue Bolts prior to me separating TBs into Red/Blue/Black?

Thanks for your help!

I get them too. The TB genes are so mixed up it's hard to pinpoint what gene came from where, Since I do have golden bees that show blue color on them I'd "guess" they may have originated from a golden bee/snow white shrimp. Here's an interesting article from a while ago. You may need to use Google Translate

http://www.joma-shrimp.de/de/entry/sind-blue-bolts-und-red-bolts-taiwan-garnelen

I have mixed mischlings comprised of CBS, CRS, and snow whites.  One SW female has berried twice.  

• The TBs that came out of the first batch were a mix of BBs and BKK panda.  Some if not all of the BBs that came out of this batch have faded and are riding that fine line of BB vs SW.  The remaining F2s were all CBS or SW.
  • The TBs that came out of the second batch were more mixed, with one RKK, one BB, some BKK panda with the remainder being CRS, SW, or what look like Red Bolts.   

I wish I knew conclusively who the father of each batch was, but (without an understanding of genetics) it is easy to jump to the conclusion that the father of batch 1 was a CBS(M) and the father of batch 2 was a CRS(M).  

Observations like this make it easy for me to understand the "snow with TB genes" camp.

And while there may be differing opinions on this topic, I'm betting that someone who has bred a lot of TBs and SWs (cough cough looking at you Shrimpscales) could have a opinion based on a lot of empirical evidence.

I'm left wondering if I should treat the "snowbolts" as TBs or as SW mischlings........

Thanks for the article Andy! I think the problem I have, that I don't quite understand is why only in my red Taiwan Bee tank? I will know soon enough if they will be Blue or Red Bolts, or Golden Bees. BUT Why don't I see them pop-up in my black Taiwan Bee tank?

I guess really I could go all day talking about this, but the genetics are so complex I really just need to experiment.

Long story short, I guess my answer to the original question: "So is it possible these are Golden Bees or Red Bolts?" is yes, and time will tell.

Currently I can't quite make out the color(s), but as they mature I can post pictures here. I will probably cull quite a few of them since I unexpectedly had a lot of them popup.  

I've heard and been told 2 different things about red bolts. From 2 ppl that ive talked to they said they used a SW/golden x red tb. One of them being Shrimpscales which these are his RB:

61787dad9bd0564736d8390e4ef9a951.jpg

3a36048c4d42d869c5ecf0837f3c903c.jpg

The other person being Sean Litrakis. He says RB/uncolored bolts occur in a specialized tb tank over time. All red tb or BB only tanks with some SW looking shrimps that will only produce only TB and no mischlings. Heres a pics of his bolt shrimps:

44d6b24702cd9782e23fd6894f59f4cb.jpg

Heres one which he calls RB

1974b267224c8784ca2bb9ba86964cdb.jpg

All the so call "RB" from sources that I've talked to look different in a way. I honestly dont even know what to call them.

Did they look like these? In my latest batch I had 2 blue bolts and 2 of these come out the same time in my TB tank. I have no clue what they're called, they're a peach color.

24489700132_fa1948b311_o.jpg[

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I had a few dozens of these guys back in the day. I was crossing low grade BB with red wines (male bb x female rw). I didn't pursue the strain just because I wasn't interested in the colors.

Edit: I've also used female snow whites from my mix tb tank and crossed it with male RW and I was able to get the same thing. If I remember correctly the babies from male bb x female rw had better coloration but I was also using Shrimpydaddy products in that tank so idk.

I had a few dozens of these guys back in the day. I was crossing low grade BB with red wines (male bb x female rw). I didn't pursue the strain just because I wasn't interested in the colors.

Edit: I've also used female snow whites from my mix tb tank and crossed it with male RW and I was able to get the same thing. If I remember correctly the babies from male bb x female rw had better coloration but I was also using Shrimpydaddy products in that tank so idk.

Did anything cool come out? I'm tempted to mix one with a zebra pinto

Did anything cool come out? I'm tempted to mix one with a zebra pinto

Nothing I was interested in. The best random thing to pop out of my mix tank was a pinto mosura 1 spot. I didn't have any pintos in this tank nor any shrimps from a pinto lineage. This tank was all bred by me for 3 to 4 gen. But a pinto mosura one spot pop out of no where.

Sorry for high jacking this thread. If anyone have any further questions pm me :)

79c7b50bfad4ab2fb42f7ea6569bf129.jpg

Thank you all for your input. Once they mature a bit I will post several pictures as I have about 20-30 of them. They were all bred by either WR x WR, RR x WR or RR x RR.