Mischlings with TB's

Hi Shrimp Spot,

I hope somebody can shed some light or have any recommendations

I have the opportunity to get some Taiwan Bees and TB Mischlings.

Now we get these extremely seldom in South Africa, so if the opportunity arrises, you must grab!

I was thinking of putting 10 mixed TB and 10 TB Mischlings in the same tank

Will this be good or bad keeping them together or should they rather be in their own tanks?

I have never had the chance to get some of these so do not know to much about having them all in 1 colony 

Looking forward to the responses  :thumbsu:

Thanks guys,

My goal is to get a good amount of TB and then separate them after some breeding to their own tank

I will remove the Mischling males and only keep TB males and females with Mischling females.

Will this be advisable or should I just do TB in their own tank

If you want a good amount of TB don't waste your time with Mischlings. Just get TBs, or have two setups one for mischlings and other for TB, but don't mix them.

On the other hand if you are like me and like the suspense  lottery aspect of seeing what comes out for babies, you can keep them together .   I love waiting to see what comes out of the mischlings and if you are in an area  that has so few  people selling shrimp, you can still sell both right?

The best way to handle it is to have one tank of mischlings and one tank of TB.  In the mischling tank you need to sex them and separate the female mischlings and move them to your TB tank.  Once the female mischling is berried you should get a good number of TB babies and mischling babies.  Once the mischling babies are juvies you will need to sex them out and move any males into your mischling tank.

Baisicly male mischlings are worthless and female mischlings are a good way to get hardier TB babies and grow your stock.

Also note: the more generations of mischlings breeding with TB the more TB will come fromt he offspring.

If you want a good amount of TB don't waste your time with Mischlings. Just get TBs, or have two setups one for mischlings and other for TB, but don't mix them.

I always agree with everything you say but Maurice has a very hard time getting shrimps in South Africa. He's been trying to get people to ship to him with no responses that I know of and I feel so bad for him. It sounds like he cant be picky like us. I think he should buy whatever he can get his hands on.

I always agree with everything you say but Maurice has a very hard time getting shrimps in South Africa. He's been trying to get people to ship to him with no responses that I know of and I feel so bad for him. It sounds like he cant be picky like us. I think he should buy whatever he can get his hands on.

Agreed,  But I would still do what I said.  He stated that he can get both TB and mischlings. I think my method should net him the most amount of TB in the end as long as he buys all the TB that he can and separate the males into a separate tank.

You don't have to go the mischling route these days providing you get good quality stock, just breed them direct and save the hassle and the culls. The shrimpy gossip is that european or german stock is perhaps better for this than say some of the current Asian imports..

I also faced this dilemma and ordered mischlings with my Tbs,  however for some reason the micschlings did not arrive with the import which was a blessing in disguise, as the Tbs are breeding directly like flies..

Although illegal to import and still black listed in South Africa well so I understand, I know that Tbs are being bred locally by a couple of folk so not sure what all the fuss is about, Maurice just needs to be patient   :)

Thanks for your responses

I think I will go with only TB

Although illegal to import and still black listed in South Africa well so I understand, I know that Tbs are being bred locally by a couple of folk so not sure what all the fuss is about, Maurice just needs to be patient    :)

@Purplepanda

It is still a grey area in SA with being blacklisted, tho there is 1 guy that has got the paperwork to import and it is from him that I have got the opportunity to get some TB

The 2 guys that has TB don't want to sell as they still building on their stock

You say I need to be patient……Have you never had that feeling, that when you want something, you want it NOW!?  :)

You say I need to be patient……Have you never had that feeling, that when you want something, you want it NOW!?  :)

Yes I sympathize and have felt exactly the same, as with this shrimpy craze one quickly get's obsessed  !  Just hang in there.

That's why I said go for it and buy whatever you can. We have the luxury of being patient and picky and you dont.  You never know what you will get with those mischlings. You might end up with some really cool looking baby/babies and become the main supplier in Z.A.