Plants for a Sulawesi tank

stangmus

I am setting up a tank for Sulawesi shrimp and rabbit snails. I will be SS 8.5 and the temp will be 83 f . What plants and moss is everyone using that will survive these water parameters?

I have had moss (not sure what kind) and subwassertang survive in those conditions.  I think rabbit snails are plant eaters so that may limit your choices, I haven't had them myself.

Yes the lovely rabbit snails will eat your plants.  Mostly I kept plain old java moss (not a lot) in the cardinal tank...that way if the snails did munch on it the replacement wasn't a bit hit, unlike more expensive plants.

What I read about Sulawesi shrimps is the areas they live in don't have much in the way of plants.  I did read that one particular type of dense mossy plant called cherry something was the only plant growing in the lakes they came from.  Basically you can get away with just having some nice rock formations for them to graze on and leave the plants out. 

Yes the lovely rabbit snails will eat your plants.  Mostly I kept plain old java moss (not a lot) in the cardinal tank...that way if the snails did munch on it the replacement wasn't a bit hit, unlike more expensive plants.

What I read about Sulawesi shrimps is the areas they live in don't have much in the way of plants.  I did read that one particular type of dense mossy plant called cherry something was the only plant growing in the lakes they came from.  Basically you can get away with just having some nice rock formations for them to graze on and leave the plants out. 

''Yes the lovely rabbit snails will eat your plants''

While back I saw the yellow spotted and lovely they are .

I am setting up a tank for Sulawesi shrimp and rabbit snails. I will be SS 8.5 and the temp will be 83 f . What plants and moss is everyone using that will survive these water parameters?

I'm not a snail person but those rabbit snails by themselves are beautiful .

I have only seen 1 type in person but looking at the others on sites they are real nice .

What type/s do you plan to get ?

I'm not a snail person but those rabbit snails by themselves are beautiful .

I have only seen 1 type in person but looking at the others on sites they are real nice .

What type/s do you plan to get ?

I have not decided yet. I am currently looking at yellow spotted and or king snails. 

The Tylomenia Rabbit snails are some of the most beautiful ones out there.  Some are Yellow footed, some are black with yellow spots, but they are soooo darned cute I actually thought of just having them by themselves.  They have only 1 baby at a time and the babies are identical to the adults only in miniature.  They have a symbiotic relastionship with the Shrimps for some reason, which makes the shrimps happier if you have them in the tank.

I had mine producing a baby usually once a month when I kept the Sulawesi tank.  Gotta have some in your tank for sure.

This is the plant I was talking about.

Sulawesi Aquatic Plant Chara SP Fragilis (Red cherry water plant)​

I found that the babies look just like the parents.  Now if you have more than one type then maybe you might get a mix of some colors, but as I only had the Yellow footed ones the babies all were yellow footed.  I do believe there are quite a few different ones, so maybe google Tylomelania Rabbit snails.

here's an article on them, showing some of the colors.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3053