Snail Removal Advice

Vpier

I'm setting up a new tank and I want to add some plants from an existing tank that has pond snails. Is there any kind of dip/medication that I can dip the plants in and kill snails? Is there anything on the market that is shrimp safe that will kill snails?  I dont want pond snail in this new tank.

I've read salt dips or even bleach dips work. Just don't know what the mix ratio is. Also i would plant everything and just wait to see if any snails appear out of the wood works. If you do have snails you can turn up the co2 and gas them out. Only do that if ypu have no other creatures in the tank of course.

I've read salt dips or even bleach dips work. Just don't know what the mix ratio is. Also i would plant everything and just wait to see if any snails appear out of the wood works. If you do have snails you can turn up the co2 and gas them out. Only do that if ypu have no other creatures in the tank of course.

Thanks Poke.  I dont have CO2 so I cant go that route.

Okay, this may or may not work for you depending on your tank setups, but this recently decimated our snail population. We got a couple of yoyo loaches and put them in our refugium which is full of plants and despite having assassin snails, full of pond snails as well. Now I'm using long forceps to pluck snails from every other tank to throw in there. I don't dare put them in the community tank because they will wipe out our mystery snails. These guys are snail eating machines! And very cool to watch as well. So if you quarantine first, you might want to try yoyo loaches if you have someplace to put them after.

Okay, this may or may not work for you depending on your tank setups, but this recently decimated our snail population. We got a couple of yoyo loaches and put them in our refugium which is full of plants and despite having assassin snails, full of pond snails as well. Now I'm using long forceps to pluck snails from every other tank to throw in there. I don't dare put them in the community tank because they will wipe out our mystery snails. These guys are snail eating machines! And very cool to watch as well. So if you quarantine first, you might want to try yoyo loaches if you have someplace to put them after.

My carbon rilis are going into that tank.  I do the same for my german blue rams, they love snails.

What about alum?  I was just wondering this same thing and remember it was mentioned before in another thread and may echoed its ability.

I was hoping to track down what dosing and duration people used for the alum treatment..........

EDIT:  Found some reference posts:

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3355-alum-or-other-plant-soaking-critter-killing-options/?hl=alum- post #2

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3630-is-there-anyway-to-disinfect-plants/?hl=alum#entry50323- post #2

What about alum?  I was just wondering this same thing and remember it was mentioned before in another thread and may echoed its ability.

I was hoping to track down what dosing and duration people used for the alum treatment..........

EDIT:  Found some reference posts:

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3355-alum-or-other-plant-soaking-critter-killing-options/?hl=alum- post #2

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3630-is-there-anyway-to-disinfect-plants/?hl=alum#entry50323- post #2

Thank you very much.  Alum also works great for canker sores. Hurts like heck for a few minutes but will heal the sore in 24 hours or less.

• 1 month later...

The following isn't necessarily shrimp safe, but for me having puffers is a great way to get rid of pond snails. I've tried to harvest my own pond snails so as to have something to feed the puffers but I've had no such luck (or problem). 

I used to have a couple of spotted freshwater puffers who'd eat my ghost shrimp. They are no longer around. Now I have a couple of drawrf puffers that do just as good a job keeping my tank free of snails, and seem to leave my ghost shrimp and my cull RCS alone. 

On 3/30/2016 at 0:43 AM, Jen said:

The following isn't necessarily shrimp safe, but for me having puffers is a great way to get rid of pond snails. I've tried to harvest my own pond snails so as to have something to feed the puffers but I've had no such luck (or problem). 

I used to have a couple of spotted freshwater puffers who'd eat my ghost shrimp. They are no longer around. Now I have a couple of drawrf puffers that do just as good a job keeping my tank free of snails, and seem to leave my ghost shrimp and my cull RCS alone. 

Yep, since it was a new tank that opens the option of buying a few dwarf pea puffers and letting them eat every single snail and egg then returning them. This has the risk of deciding you really like them and then having to set up another new tank.

My puffer murdered the ghost shrimp in the tank. So do not count on them being shrimp safe.

My current irksome problem is freshwater limpets in the tanks that I'm raising mystery snails in. The mysteries seem to eat well enough that no pest snails have managed to turn up—at all—but these limpets are apparently hardy enough not to be outcompeted by the mysteries. What's worst is they ride around on the mysteries like brain slugs, ruining their prettiness when I want to take a picture that doesn't include a weird gastropod on the shells of the snails.