How to quarantine shrimp?

svetilda

After reading Soothing's post about scutariella I'm wondering how you all quarantine your shrimp?

I (my shrimp) had scuratella once but I was lucky I kept them in a different jar and it was only 2 adult shrimp and a tag-alone baby. Those were imported shrimp I bought at a LFS. I just did a salt dip and was done with it.

If you quarantine fish it's recomended to have a barefoot tank with no plants (or minimum plants). Easy to clean, easy to treat. But what about shrimp? No substrate? Substrate but if't something more serious than scuratella and then you have to replace the substrate?

Please, teach me how properly quarantine shrimp!

This is a good post, and I hope everyone contributes their personal techniques.

What I do is I keep different types of shrimp in different tanks. I never add new shrimp to an existing colony. For example, I got some nessies from Soothing this week, they went in a cube tank of their own, no other shrimp in there. If there is an outbreak, then I will know its from those shrimp and they were not cross contaminated at any point with my other shrimp tanks. (just an example, the nessies are amazing but still gotta always keep the new shrimp in their separate setup)

I also inspect all shrimp when I get them with a magnifying glass. I realize this is not all that practical, but its important to catch it early on. I look for the cloudy/milky body, or green under the body or white on the nose face...

I realize a lot of hobbyists especially those who keep Taiwan bees keep adding new shrimp to their existing populations.As I am more experienced with Neos then Taiwan bees,  I believe its the neos that have the most disease issue. But someone who keeps Taiwan bees can clarify if that comes up often for the Caridinas as well.  I don't know if its as common with Caridina as with Neocaridina.

So I just try to buy all my stock at once. If I get a new group of shrimp, I put them in their own tank so that if there is an issue, its confined to that one tank. Later on after enough time has passed if the shrimp are still showing no outward signs of disease then I can always combine them with my other shrimp if I want and need to. This has worked for me to avoid any issues, and contain the disease to one area.

I've learned the hard way a few years ago with fish and ich. Then I got into shrimp and realized that they have issues too and should also be quarantined.

I was just talking about this with someone else.

Yes, neos mostly have the import problems-but not because of their health, rather because they are not as expensive as cards- so grown in outdoor ponds that aren't kept up as nicely as tanks with more expensive cards.

Most of the issues come from unclean water.

As far as quarantine, an importer I know used to keep imported shrimp from 2-4 weeks in isolation tanks before selling them.  In this way, any ammonia victims, early stress deaths or diseases/illnesses would show up during this time after they are comfortable.  Then he would treat as needed, make sure they were healthy and then sell.

I would imagine each batch that sold out, he would restart his near bare tanks.

awhile back I bought some online from an importer. He contact me saying "I will get them on a Monday, and ship to you on the Tuesday" SO he really only waited a day to ship them out to me. I didn't know any better at the time. I think that some importers are not keeping their stock long enough before selling to the public.

I read on a Russian forum that a few years ago when they started importing shrimp many honest importers quarantined all the shrimp for about 2 weeks. They did the salt dip for all the shrimp they got from the shipment on first day and repeated after 2 weeks. After this shrimp were sold.

But it's in a case of an honest importer. And I still wouldn't believe them now and will quarantine the shrimp at home.

The owner of my LFS does the same thing: all life stock come today and tomorrow you'll find it in store's tanks.

awhile back I bought some online from an importer. He contact me saying "I will get them on a Monday, and ship to you on the Tuesday" SO he really only waited a day to ship them out to me. I didn't know any better at the time. I think that some importers are not keeping their stock long enough before selling to the public.

• 9 months later...

I've  alternated with Microbe Lift Herbtana and Artemis.. worked well with no issues.

I don't  just dump the shrimp into a tank which is already fully dosed with either product, but rather conservatively add in small increments over a week or longer, accompanied by small water changes as well as a healthy supply of alder cones to let the tannins also do their good work .. 

Yes agree, I never add new imported shrimp and also plants for that matter into an existing healthy shrimp tank, it's just not worth the risk imo.