Greetings from N California

lamder

Hi all,

I have been lurking amidst the forums for a few months. They are a marvelous resource, with so many knowledgeable and helpful people.

I have only had neos, ghost and amano's in a community tank, but have recently taken the plunge to set up a dedicated shrimp tank. Still early days and learning as I go.

I hail from the California Bay Area, and I noticed a couple of recent intros are from the same area too. 

Must be the water :-)

Cheers,

Sam

Hey Sam! I'm located in Santa Cruz! In SJ and The City quite a bit. Perhaps we'll see each other around!

Be sure to check out Aqua Forest Aquarium for any ADA soil/products or nice plants/hardscape. 6th Ave Aquarium for super low prices on fish, if you don't get completely obsessed with shrimp... like some of us :o). Both places are in SF. Mayphly also just recommended Ocean Aquarium in The Tenderloin to me, but I haven't gone yet. And Neptune aquatics in SJ, if you haven't been. Great selection of plants and they always have a few different neos, some crystal/bee shrimp, and Amanos. Also lots of micro fish that I've had success with in shrimp tanks!

Also a couple of great breeders/dealers live in your hood. Mayphly and Joe from Joe's Aqua. You'll get to know their names if you don't already. And luckily, you might get to skip the shipping cost and not have to stress your shrimp with shipping when you're ready for some high grade caridina!

Welcome to TSS and I hope the suggestions help you on your shrimping journey,

Nick

Thanks for the welcome, all.

Nick, I first caught the planted tank bug, so I have been to all those places you mentioned multiple times :-p.

Definitely looking forward to meeting the local shrimp lovers in the future!

Sam

Hey Sam! I'm located in Santa Cruz! In SJ and The City quite a bit. Perhaps we'll see each other around!
Be sure to check out Aqua Forest Aquarium for any ADA soil/products or nice plants/hardscape. 6th Ave Aquarium for super low prices on fish, if you don't get completely obsessed with shrimp... like some of us :o). Both places are in SF. Mayphly also just recommended Ocean Aquarium in The Tenderloin to me, but I haven't gone yet. And Neptune aquatics in SJ, if you haven't been. Great selection of plants and they always have a few different neos, some crystal/bee shrimp, and Amanos. Also lots of micro fish that I've had success with in shrimp tanks!
Also a couple of great breeders/dealers live in your hood. Mayphly and Joe from Joe's Aqua. You'll get to know their names if you don't already. And luckily, you might get to skip the shipping cost and not have to stress your shrimp with shipping when you're ready for some high grade caridina!

Welcome to TSS and I hope the suggestions help you on your shrimping journey,
Nick

Woot, SF! I love Ocean Aquarium in the tender. It's run by a cute Chinese couple and mostly low tech tanks just overrun with beautiful plants. Their plant selection doesn't vary as much but are very good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!  I was going to start my own thread but I saw this one so I figure I'll just jump in here!  I'm in Walnut Creek.  Just a small breeding tank to benefit my husband's "big tank."  I'm starting with RCS, but they're doing GREAT so I have a feeling I will be branching out soon.  I currently have four berried females and about oh, Idk, 50? babies.  The females were all fertilized around the same time so I have a feeling they're all hatching them slowly but surely.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!  

Hey there! I was going to start my own thread but I saw this one so I figure I'll just jump in here! I'm in Walnut Creek. Just a small breeding tank to benefit my husband's "big tank." I'm starting with RCS, but they're doing GREAT so I have a feeling I will be branching out soon. I currently have four berried females and about oh, Idk, 50? babies. The females were all fertilized around the same time so I have a feeling they're all hatching them slowly but surely.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

Welcome, fellow NorCal shrimper! You'll be glad you joined!