What if...

Had an interesting thought last night while giving a presentation at my local aquarium club.

How much of the current forms of the CRS, I.e. Hinomaru & no-entry pattern is influenced by the aesthetics of the Japan flag. Or was it just a natural progression... The second part of that question is, would the CRS /CBS look different today if they were developed in another country?

Would someone decide to focus on the tigertooth / stripes more? Would we get super CRS sooner rather than later?

What do you guys think?

where you trippin' out when you were thinking of these questions? those are some very interesting points to consider though.

Yeah I never really occurred to me until last night and it got me thinking...

I certainly think it would be a lot different that we have today of it was say developed in Taiwan or Hong Kong

I can only answer for me.  I think the first coloration I would have bred for is super red.  The majority in low grade is red already, so that seems like the logical choice.

Yes at some point decisions were made... maybe it was Mr. Sukuzi that decided to develop the white more or maybe they just came out when breeding darker  / more solid shrimps.  Maybe the initial goals were "candy-cane" like shrimps.  But certainly shrimps with more red / coverage would have been a path that many would have taken as well

They really do! Birds of the same species have different accents based on location, elevation, proximity to cities, etc.

Ok, so this has been a long standing question (since being in the middle east), so how do we know they have accents, Sarah? I could never come up with an experiment format.

Absolutely fascinating, Sarah! So, Jumpsmasher, I don't know the answer to your questions, but perhaps US breeders can develop different patterns?

Yes, the first step to get a good nice colony of wild type or C grade CRS  / CBS going and get them into the hands of breeders and see what they can do with them!

Yes, the first step to get a good nice colony of wild type or C grade CRS  / CBS going and get them into the hands of breeders and see what they can do with them!

I think we should develop national teams and have a friendly contest... (too much nyquil?)

I think we should develop national teams and have a friendly contest... (too much nyquil?)

lol yeah was discussing this with some fellow shrimpers and saying how someone in Canada would make the red hinomaru marking into a maple leaf!

Very interesting to think "What if..." at the very least they probably wouldn't name the pattern Hinomaru.