Cannabalism after a molt

maylee

So, I'm pretty sure I just caught a shrimp being canabalized after he just molted. Do you guys think this is a sign of anything? Not enough protein, not enough feeding in general, or just "shrimp being shrimp"?

While I didn't actually see it happen, everything was fine before I went for supper and when I came back, I see a fresh molt and a nearby shrimp being eaten by about 4 others.

I currently feed once every other day. The tank probably has around 20 shrimp in total

...While I didn't actually see it happen, everything was fine before I went for supper and when I came back, I see a fresh molt and a nearby shrimp being eaten by about 4 others...

What are your params? Is it possible the shrimp failed molting? If it was injured or dead after failing to molt, it is very likely the shrimp was cannibalized.

Not enough hiding spots?

Possibly. My tank isn't quite as nice as DETAs tanks but a similar sort of layout.

What are your params? Is it possible the shrimp failed molting? If it was injured or dead after failing to molt, it is very likely the shrimp was cannibalized.

gh 6 - kh 2 - tds 180

These are tigers and neos btw. Forgot to mention. I usually see good molts. This particular molt looked complete but what you say is still possible. 

Thanks for your input guys

gh 6 - kh 2 - tds 180

These are tigers and neos btw. Forgot to mention. I usually see good molts. This particular molt looked complete but what you say is still possible.

Thanks for your input guys

I just mention it because I had it happen to a few blue dreams not too long ago. Noticed a group of shrimp picking on a shrimp trying to molt, shooed them away, and later noticed the shrimp dead and missing a few legs. And again the same thing about a week later. I noticed and corrected a high TDS issue (calibrate your meters, people!) and haven't had it happen since.

And no problem! :]

I noticed this same thing recently with 4 or 5 subadults feeding on a large tiger. At first i thought it was dead but it was fine. A fresh molt was next to it. Almost looked like the young ones were eating small remaining pieces of the molt off of it as it didnt seem to being hurt by them. I netted it though and moved it to a hunk of moss for hiding then fed the tank and they all seemed to leave it alone after that.

I will now have to ensure i get more protein in their diet.

Yes, this has been my experience. When I was trying to selectively breed, I setup several breeder boxes and separated culls in one, tiny shrimplets to grow out in another, berried and special females I didn't want to breed in the 3rd box.

I started getting frustrated because I would intermittently find dead females in the breeder box being eaten and it was ALWAYS after a molt. I had zero losses in the main tank during the same time period and water params were good. This happened frequently throughout a 6 month period until I was ready to pull my hair out.

I observed the shrimp in the breeder box and saw that since it was so cramped in the box, they had nowhere to hide. Even though I had a large clump of moss in there and several pieces of almond leaves, the shrimp in the breeder boxes would be all over each other. I finally surmised that freshly molted shrimp were getting cannibalized by the others since they could not adequately hide in these small boxes. Now I only use the breeder boxes for growouts and just leave the adults in the main tank. No more deaths=problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the same story from time to time and in my case the problem is overpopulation of the males of my cards, it's normally happening with old big females in moulting time, they simply don't have enough power to escape hundreds of males and at the end becoming a big meal. that's quite normal, and you have to separate a big mum for that period of time if you be lucky to be around in just right time and if you wish to save that female of cause :-)

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't seen it happen since so I'll chalk it up to bad luck for the little guy or girl.

I like the clean, simple look in a tank so maybe it does need more hiding spots in the future.