Buce experts, help ID this buce!

Mr. F

So I was down at an LFS in Monterey, CA (The Ultimate Aquarium) and I picked up some super reds (and a tiger hitched along) as well as some plants. Now the owner, Larry I think is his name, is he nicest dude ever. So with a Java fern, crypt spiralis, and bunch of wisteria, he threw in another small Java, a random crypt, and 15-20 leaves (4 stems) of this buce.. He said "it's like a $35 plant" and I was thinking, yeah, it's Buce... Lol. The leaves are about 1/2" long.

af5d92d6548c578b5f7ead0b2f396561.jpg

3557f52cb9b58ac2f1c862bb9d7bc941.jpg

Let me know what you think it is!

I tried to research and can only really tell that it looks like some type of brownie...

Brownie jade?

I am sure that you have heard this before, but... Buces mostly all look the same. You could probably categorize buces into like 4 or 5 leaf varieties, but they all have crazy names. With so many buce varieties out there it is just hard to keep track of all of them. What I can tell you is they like to grow when attached to rock or wood, rather than being buried.

I am sure that you have heard this before, but... Buces mostly all look the same. You could probably categorize buces into like 4 or 5 leaf varieties, but they all have crazy names. With so many buce varieties out there it is just hard to keep track of all of them. What I can tell you is they like to grow when attached to rock or wood, rather than being buried.

Yeah, I just shoved them in there temporarily until I decide what I wanna do with them. I may leave them there but bury some small rocks beneath them to provide anchoring.

I so agree with jem_xxiii! I bought maybe 10 varieties from Han, mostly Brownies but still... and I can't see much differense between them. Some maybe smaller, some larger but most of them look alike in my low tech tank.

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

I was told once by Han (I think?) that when the ID of a buce is unknown, you have to wait for it to flower to find out what it is.

the man speaks the truth. it is probably one of the only most certain ways to tell which buce you have.

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

I've been trying to locate a buce flower chart out of curiosity.  Has anyone found one?

nope, might still be a little early for it. I have heard of a lot of people who cut off the flower when they find it growing. I do not remember why though...