Any problem with direct manipulation?

As I'm completely new, I was not sure if there if there was a sportsmanship aspect to the hobby or if we were simply hellbent for pretty.

Basically, I'm asking as my PHD friend and her PHD friend say I will have to drop 500$ on top of the cost of CRISPR/Cas9 unless I want to go the mercury route.

Is this considered unsportsmanlike with shrimp?

Genetic lines should be 100% stable give or take 3% :)

I'm no scientist,  but it seems to me that natural selection for an environment will always win out in the long run over genetic engineering.

Interesting thread! I would be for it. As long as ethics and good practices/precautions are adhered to, I think work around genome editing should be done to progress the collective understanding and ability of humanity.

Of course there are many opponents to the technique, and with some valid arguments, but the new depth of understanding is worth the risks, in my humble and uninformed opinion!

Has the global moratorium been lifted?

As I'm completely new, I was not sure if there if there was a sportsmanship aspect to the hobby or if we were simply hellbent for pretty.

Basically, I'm asking as my PHD friend and her PHD friend say I will have to drop 500$ on top of the cost of CRISPR/Cas9 unless I want to go the mercury route.

Is this considered unsportsmanlike with shrimp?

Genetic lines should be 100% stable give or take 3% [emoji4]

CRISPR/Cas9 technology is really new as far as molecular biology goes. I've been studying it for a few years and as much as I would be interested in seeing what happens, it may be considered unethical by some.

I gotta ask, how would you plan on using it? Targeting fertilized eggs or extracting eggs from females then artificially fertilizing would be extremely hard and would require even more expensive equipment. In vivo applications are extremely limited and just shown to even be possible about a year ago.

22 hours ago, Loumeer said:

Let me know when you have some glo-shrimp ready.  I'll dip into my children's college fund.

Glow is an idea tester as kits are apparently available if you have the equipment. So no need to go sequencing on your own. As I'm not a geneticist I do not want to go sequencing on my own right out of the gates and leave MN a wasteland ruled by 100 foot tall shrimp.

Ghost shrimp would probably be the first test subjects as you can buy berried females at petsmart. If their eggs are too far along then that means getting a home bred shrimp (probably a Neo or what ever breeds the most in my tank) to berry and then working with those eggs.

I was thinking that the eggs would have to be artificially raised as there is no way to get the female to take the eggs back after they have been gently removed from her. It sounds like there has been success with brine shrimp type incubators as well as nets near filters for flow.

Glow is an idea tester as kits are apparently available if you have the equipment. So no need to go sequencing on your own. As I'm not a geneticist I do not want to go sequencing on my own right out of the gates and leave MN a wasteland ruled by 100 foot tall shrimp.

Ghost shrimp would probably be the first test subjects as you can buy berried females at petsmart. If their eggs are too far along then that means getting a home bred shrimp (probably a Neo or what ever breeds the most in my tank) to berry and then working with those eggs.

I was thinking that the eggs would have to be artificially raised as there is no way to get the female to take the eggs back after they have been gently removed from her. It sounds like there has been success with brine shrimp type incubators as well as nets near filters for flow.

Gently removing? How would you do this without damaging them? I was thinking about it and, although it sounds mean, you could probably stress neos into dropping their eggs then incubate them.

I have no idea how shrimp genetics work, but I am curious what would happen when breeding these genetically modified shrimp with other strains of shrimp that were not lab modified? Would 25%, 50% or 100% of the offspring be identical to the "modified" shrimp? Would the modified shrimp influence any changes at all to the new "mixed" gene offspring?

On 4/9/2016 at 1:52 PM, ShrimpP said:

I have no idea how shrimp genetics work, but I am curious what would happen when breeding these genetically modified shrimp with other strains of shrimp that were not lab modified? Would 25%, 50% or 100% of the offspring be identical to the "modified" shrimp? Would the modified shrimp influence any changes at all to the new "mixed" gene offspring?

Since we don't really understand the inheritance patterns/genetics of shrimp as it is, it would be hard to speculate on genetically modified shrimp. Having said that, we could use this system to figure it out. Someone could insert a fluorescent screenable marker at the same locus as the color gene, enabling them to determine the inheritance pattern of the color gene over multiple generations.