Who has Shrimp PTSD

Jadenlea

I was thinking about it this morning as I got up and checked the shrimp tanks with anxiety  in the dark with a flashlight like I do every morning.   Still expecting to see the worst...still waiting for Tank of Death Syndrom to hit me.     Anyone else have this?  After having unexplained bad shrimp experiences just waiting for your tank to go bad and everything to die on you?

What timing, Jadenlea! We had a power outage yesterday that lasted from around 8am until just after 8pm. So of course last night I made sure everything was running, rebooted a couple of filters, but was too afraid to really look in the tanks. Then this morning I went down to find a breaker had blown during the night, so again, tanks off over night. I rebooted to the temp alarm at 62 and am crossing my fingers. Of course this all happened while Gill was gone....

Yep.  At least a half dozen failed attempts to keep rcs, only once had success before a contamination issue crashed it.  Several attempts to restart also failed.  This latest time t got some blue bolts and they've been great so far.  Regular molts, no deaths as far as I can tell.  Bought 11, and count them daily out of paranoia...  One day 5.... Next day 6... Getting concerned... Next day 10 /whew!   

I've been lucky so far but have been anxious with my first Cardinals for about 2 weeks now after having ghost, amanos & pfr cherries with no deaths.  I got 5 ottos about 2 weeks ago as well and have been head counting them like crazy sort of expecting the worst from reading about so many dying everywhere. All is seemingly well with all. I know dip tests aren't the best but I go through a lot just checking each tank once or twice a day to make sure everything's saavy. I had my first large tank at age 16 (spent all my first jobs pay getting it) and everything died in less than 36 hours after getting a 2$ stupid black skirt tetra from petco(no quarantine). I had a black ghost knife fish that was about 10", a 18" pleco, glass catfish and full grown angels in there among other things. I still don't know what did it- I barely had time to react.  I can relate!

19 hours ago, Wygglz said:

What timing, Jadenlea! We had a power outage yesterday that lasted from around 8am until just after 8pm. So of course last night I made sure everything was running, rebooted a couple of filters, but was too afraid to really look in the tanks. Then this morning I went down to find a breaker had blown during the night, so again, tanks off over night. I rebooted to the temp alarm at 62 and am crossing my fingers. Of course this all happened while Gill was gone....

Wondering how everything fared ?  Most animals and plants are pretty resilient.

RIP to wygglz  Little OEBT.  

Glad I am not the only one .  I am about to head upstairs to do a water change on the OEBT tank. I am sure that by morning Ill be expecting a massive die off. lol

I can totally relate, and I'm a first timer too. Here's where my current paranoia is...

Took me 3.5 months to cycle the tank, waiting for water parameters to be just right. Got 10 TBs and 6 pinto mischlings to start. One pinto died after a bad molt 4 days in, but I read something about shrimp cannibalizing each other if they are lacking protein somewhere. Upped the feeding from once every 3 days to once a day. Then 3 of my shadow pandas and another pinto died within 3 days. Were they from bad molts, but my water parameters were still good! Did a 20% water change just to be safe anyways. Then a local group of owners suggested I remove my lava rocks and reduce feeding to an hour every other day, which I did. Things were looking fine, but then there was a pinto and BKK I haven't seen in weeks? Were they dead? Pancaked under my driftwood log? What if the others eat their bodies and get sick and die too? Or spike my nitrates? So I fish them all out, lift the log, and no bodies are in sight. They've disappeared, or were already eaten up by the others...? And one of my pandas jumped out of the net and took me 2 minutes to get it back into some water... Will it live?

Fast forward two days, and the remaining 9 are doing pretty good, including the one that fell out. But I still worry every morning that I will see dead shrimp... It's getting better, but it has been an emotional roller coaster. 

Oh, and I just got 3 more pinto mischlings and 3 more BBs. Hope they are all still alive tomorrow!

Yeah I'm kinda having that too right now. I got some orange rilis and amanos from OMGaquatics  last week and they were really active until today. Now they have just been sitting on top of the sponge filter either doing nothing or just moving their antennas. I must have checked the tank like 4-6 times today after finding 2 dead ones lol and am now currently hoping for the best after a 20% water change. Also one of the amanos escaped the tank yesterday, (good thing it landed in a daphnia bucket), but the fact it was trying to escape must mean that something is wrong. 

kuro I can totally relate!!!!!!!     Revaria, I too question when the shrimp arnt moving much.   Are they ok???   And Viper, I have had enough Gallon jugs just start leaking out of nowhere to worry about that too.  The regular plastic jugs seem to be very prone to melting or getting holes or something when there are big temp. changes.  Ive been looking for something better to store in.   

Well none of them died overnight and they are a little more active now. Some are scrounging around like they should be. And there are still a few of them just sitting on the sponge, so I am probably going to do another 20% water change today and see where it goes from there, hopefully they will keep improving.

7 hours ago, Jadenlea said:

kuro I can totally relate!!!!!!!     Revaria, I too question when the shrimp arnt moving much.   Are they ok???   And Viper, I have had enough Gallon jugs just start leaking out of nowhere to worry about that too.  The regular plastic jugs seem to be very prone to melting or getting holes or something when there are big temp. changes.  Ive been looking for something better to store in.   

I bought the several 5g water jugs filled with RO water a few years back at the grocery store.  I kept the jugs instead of returning them for my deposit back.   Almost indestructible and the lid can be pressed back in to seal.

My paranoia is when I add anything new to the tanks like wood, plants, certain types of foods, etc. It probably comes from me almost losing an entire colony when I added some leaf litter/plants so now when I add or change things I'm constantly checking the shrimp.

18 hours ago, oem said:

I bought the several 5g water jugs filled with RO water a few years back at the grocery store.  I kept the jugs instead of returning them for my deposit back.   Almost indestructible and the lid can be pressed back in to seal.

I had a 45 gallon container that sprung a major leak a while back so this is why I get paranoid. I have woke up in the middle of the night panicking because I couldn't remember if I turned off the RODI. I really need to stop being lazy and put those overflow bulkheads I bought several months ago.

30g to 55g commercial food grade barrels might be the ticket.  They are available on CL and they are reasonably priced. I use them on my place as rain barrels for my garden.  No basement for in the house use.  I think I would probably look for ones used for wine vinegar.