Feeding Schedule & Leaf Litter

lizam

Hi,

So I'm new to shrimp keeping.  I have tried to do research and this might be a dumb question but I would rather appear dumb than mess up.

I now have two small tanks with some awesome shrimp thanks to SKA Shrimp, PRL and OEBT!  Love them :)  So a breeder I was chatting with on FB recommended that I feed only 3 times a week all they can eat in an hour and no longer than 2 hours and give a couple days off for them to clear their systems.  This seems to be good especially for my PRL tank at work.  I gave my PRLs amaranth leaf the other day and they (12) chomped that down within 24 hours, nothing left!    Tried a Mulberry leaf for my OEBT (just got those a few days ago)  this weekend.  Weren't to excited when I first put in yesterday but today they seem to like it and the snails love it :)

Both tanks have a cappatta leaf and alder cones for biofilm and all that...

If I give leaf litter that they are chowing down on can or should I still feed regular food in addition to?  

PRL Shrimp Tank.jpg

OEBT Apr 17.jpg

My main leaf litter is IAL (Indian almond leaf) banana and Guava. I use these leaves for bio-film and food source but the primary function is the antibacterial properties. These leaves are in my tank 100% and in my opinion a must have. Softer leaves like mulberry and amaranth are given once a week as food and I alternate between the two. My feeding schedule is 3 time a week and on the weekend I will add a small piece of snowflake.

54 minutes ago, Vpier said:

My main leaf litter is IAL (Indian almond leaf) banana and Guava. I use these leaves for bio-film and food source but the primary function is the antibacterial properties. These leaves are in my tank 100% and in my opinion a must have. Softer leaves like mulberry and amaranth are given once a week as food and I alternate between the two. My feeding schedule is 3 time a week and on the weekend I will add a small piece of snowflake.

Thanks Viper :)  that is helpful.  I was planning on ordering Guava so I will definitely do that.  

Just now, lizam said:

Thanks Viper :)  that is helpful.  I was planning on ordering Guava so I will definitely do that.  

Guava is a great leaf. Not sure if you have seen this but Scott really knows his stuff and got me into botanicals. Been in the fish hobby for 40 years and I have learned a ton in the past month reading his threads.

I use no leaf litter as my tank is full of buces, but I do feed my shrimps 3x's a week, usually M/W/F. On the weekend I will usually put a smidge of baby food in the tank. I feed like this for about 2 or 3 weeks, then give the shrimp a week to clean their systems, which usually means only a small chip of snowflake on Wednesday.

Guava is a great leaf. Not sure if you have seen this but Scott really knows his stuff and got me into botanicals. Been in the fish hobby for 40 years and I have learned a ton in the past month reading his threads.

Who is Scott[emoji4] I would like to give it a read.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hi lizam,

Scott is the new sponsor on SS.  At the bottom of the sponsor index is Tannin Aquatics.  I would try and read all past post.   Very good information that makes you think and humorous as well.

25 minutes ago, oem said:

Hi lizam,

Scott is the new sponsor on SS.  At the bottom of the sponsor index is Tannin Aquatics.  I would try and read all past post.   Very good information that makes you think and humorous as well.

I keep almond, guava and Banana leaves in my tanks always.  I add a new one when they disintegrate.  The babies seem to love the banana leaves and hide in the folds.   I also feed amaranth leaves and..... ugh..Im drawing a blank... There is another leaf I got from Han.  It came crushed in  a baggie...  Han?  Do you remember?     It looks like a huge bag of pot.  LOL   She shrimp go absolutely bonkers, banana crazy when I add it.   

I feed every regular food every 2 or 3 days 

1 hour ago, Jadenlea said:

I keep almond, guava and Banana leaves in my tanks always.  I add a new one when they disintegrate.  The babies seem to love the banana leaves and hide in the folds.   I also feed amaranth leaves and..... ugh..Im drawing a blank... There is another leaf I got from Han.  It came crushed in  a baggie...  Han?  Do you remember?     It looks like a huge bag of pot.  LOL   She shrimp go absolutely bonkers, banana crazy when I add it.   

I feed every regular food every 2 or 3 days 

It could be pot, isn't Han in CA? LOL:D

Leaf Litter, not Mulberry/Amaranth, are used purely for their tannins, and biofilm. Mulberry and Amaranth are meant to be food and as you described eaten with 48-72 hours or so. You can certainly feed in addition to Leaf Litter, but I would space our feedings with your Mulberry/Amaranth and manufactured foods, treat them as they are the same.