10 gallon filter suggestions

Hello everyone just had a quick question about proper filteration for a 10 gallon neo tank. Right now I currently use a double sponge filter and it has been working fine from what I see the shrimps always eat off it but it only creates a few bubbles per second and does not agitate the surface a lot is it bad if it is stagnant? I have had succes breeding in the tank but from time to time still get a occasional mystery death. Should i add a HOB?

Thanks!

image.jpg

I bought a "hpump silent air pump" it was rated for 20g but it could be going bad thanks for the reply! I'm going to try

another pump is it supposed to have more bubbles and better surface abstain l?

I could be something other than filtration. How old is the tank? What are your parameters?

10 hours ago, Vpier said:

Was going to say the same thing. How long has the sponge been running? You might have some build up and restricting airflow where the airline attaches to the sponge.

It has been running about 2 months.

10 hours ago, Mr. F said:

I could be something other than filtration. How old is the tank? What are your parameters?

2 months TDS 242 PH-7.4 I need to purchase a gh and kh test have had no problems until now I use shrimp nature gh/kh + water reminerlizer 

2 hours ago, R-Dog said:

How can you check if they are clogged is running under hot water sufficient ? 

it depends what kind of filter you have. Most filters will have a small opening where the air attaches to it and over time you can get build up and choke the air, like a clogged artery.

8 hours ago, R-Dog said:

Thank you for all of the replies I hooked up a pump for a 40 gallon and it blasted it clean it was most definantly clogged with leaf litter! running much better now :)

Glad to hear that things are working better.  The suggestions from members have saved me time and money.  That is why I helped support this site with a small supporting membership from the Store.,,,,Mike