10" Cube shrimp tank

NeMox69x

What would you guys do with this little tank? I got it as a birthday gift as my bday was Sunday (got tank Saturday and its setup) it has controsoil black very tiny mm, Deep blue mini hang on back filter, dual sponge filter and soon to be upgrade finnex stingray. Suggestions? I keep Taiwan bees. Red rubies, extreme blue bolts, black King Kongs and shadow pandas/stripes. Should I shrimp it with Taiwan bees or go nano planted tank and neocaridinia??

image.jpeg

I'm thinking you should go with a planted aquascape to get the most appeal/wow-factor out of a nano tank. Why wouldn't you be able to do Taiwan Bees though? 

Personally I am envisioning a giant steep jagged mountain (rock) in the background (main focal point), then plant as desired.

Artistic possibilities are endless though!

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm slowly acclimating my Taiwan bees to fertilizers. Have been using excel, flourish and iron for the past 3-4 months. I believe they are becoming more hardy so I could put some in there if I chose to. I wanna go dwarf baby tears. I use to have a carpet and I miss it more than anything. Do you think a stingray would be ample light?

18 minutes ago, ShrimpP said:

... Why wouldn't you be able to do Taiwan Bees though? ...

CO2 injection = huge pH swings + low DO

Nemo, are you planning on using CO2 injection? or just excel?

I know injecting co2, and the more other un-preferred additives (ferts, excel/glute, co2, etc, to the shrimp) can decrease breeding rates and shrimp health (just another "stressor" the shrimp would need to cope with), but I have seen quite a few people who've kept Taiwan Bees in pressurized co2 injected tanks (even to 30 ppm dissolved co2?).

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/994282-gondwana-%5B2-5-gal%5D.html

Here's a nice little tank. Not a 10" cube, but still nice. Little bit of co2, but I was going to mention you could just do a low tech planted tank and still have it look nice.

I don't know how much PAR, the stingray would give you, so I can't say if it's strong enough. I haven't used excel/glute much at all, so I don't know how well it would work growing HC (dwarf baby tears). You might be able to keep it alive, but not sure how much growth you'd get out of it. Some people also have experienced dosing Excel would kill their shrimp, yet some have zero issues (again, I have no personal experience with it, just mentioning).

Not going to inject co2. I'm gonna keep buce and hopefully dwarf baby tears as the setup. Just have to see what's for sale when I go to plant it up. I have buce already so just have to see what I like when I go to plant. Nice tank by the way!

17 minutes ago, ShrimpP said:

I know injecting co2, and the more other un-preferred additives (ferts, excel/glute, co2, etc, to the shrimp) can decrease breeding rates and shrimp health (just another "stressor" the shrimp would need to cope with), but I have seen quite a few people who've kept Taiwan Bees in pressurized co2 injected tanks (even to 30 ppm dissolved co2?).

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/994282-gondwana-%5B2-5-gal%5D.html

Here's a nice little tank. Not a 10" cube, but still nice. Little bit of co2, but I was going to mention you could just do a low tech planted tank and still have it look nice.

I don't know how much PAR, the stingray would give you, so I can't say if it's strong enough. I haven't used excel/glute much at all, so I don't know how well it would work growing HC (dwarf baby tears). You might be able to keep it alive, but not sure how much growth you'd get out of it. Some people also have experienced dosing Excel would kill their shrimp, yet some have zero issues (again, I have no personal experience with it, just mentioning).

Dude, that tank is ridiculous! :o

11 minutes ago, NeMox69x said:

Not going to inject co2. I'm gonna keep buce and hopefully dwarf baby tears as the setup. Just have to see what's for sale when I go to plant it up. I have buce already so just have to see what I like when I go to plant. Nice tank by the way!

HC can be really tough with no CO2, and it needs high light or it will get tall instead of short and carpeting. Maybe try a fissidens, or mini pellia! As you can see in my pic, i chose glosso. I just recently redid the tank so thats only been planted a couple of weeks, but it seems to do well with med light and no co2, occasional ferts.

9 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Dude, that tank is ridiculous! :o

Yeah, I know. I'm jealous!...It's not mine by the way, just to make that clear :P 

+1 to what Mr. F said about HC being hard to grow without high light and co2.

Looks like the OP, Nemo, has mini pellia already. I'd suggest the mini pellia and Buces too. Maybe the OP wants something different though.

Just to caution again, I've also heard of Excel potentially melting moss (even some other plants). At least if dosed/spot treated in close proximity. Mini pellia isn't a moss, but Fissidens is.

Yeah, I know. I'm jealous!...It's not mine by the way, just to make that clear [emoji14] 

+1 to what Mr. F said about HC being hard to grow without high light and co2.

Looks like the OP, Nemo, has mini pellia already. I'd suggest the mini pellia and Buces too. Maybe the OP wants something different though.

Just to caution again, I've also heard of Excel potentially melting moss (even some other plants). At least if dosed/spot treated in close proximity. Mini pellia isn't a moss, but Fissidens is.

True, but I feel like fissidens and pellia are a good alternatives if you don't dose excel n stuff. I have this little fiss log in my Nessie tank and it exploded since I got it.

edac7b75d62782373d0ce0bf68e17291.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

True, but I feel like fissidens and pellia are a good alternatives if you don't dose excel n stuff. I have this little fiss log in my Nessie tank and it exploded since I got it.

They are indeed! I don't disagree.

I wouldn't mind see some pics of the Nessies! I posted a thread before hoping to see more pics of them, but didn't get any replies.

They are indeed! I don't disagree.

I wouldn't mind see some pics of the Nessies! I posted a thread before hoping to see more pics of them, but didn't get any replies.

Sure, I'll post them to the thread!

Okay I can't find it. I'll post them on the "post your shrimp pics" thread rn.

1 minute ago, ShrimpP said:

Here was the thread. Thanks!

too late! 

1 minute ago, ShrimpP said:

Haha. That's alright, I pretty much derailed that thread anyways talking about Kanoko cherries.

Thanks for the pics!

No problem, I have a few young PRFs showing black right now and one that's completely maroon, so I'm hoping to have some kanoko-like dragon pattern PRFs soon! OH NO, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!

Why thank you lol. I've actually kept a dwarf baby tears carpet without co2 before. I dosed excel and iron every 2-3 day and flourish once a week. It grew real thick and lush until I had to eventually tear it down. It was my first "aquascaped" tank. So I had a few design flaws plus I was heading off to college. 

image.jpeg

I'm definitely gonna do buces. By far my favorite plant right now. I have a nano Species that would work perfect.

Why thank you lol. I've actually kept a dwarf baby tears carpet without co2 before. I dosed excel and iron every 2-3 day and flourish once a week. It grew real thick and lush until I had to eventually tear it down. It was my first "aquascaped" tank. So I had a few design flaws plus I was heading off to college. 

image.jpeg

Nice. That pogostemon looks great too!