- Invertebrates

- Other aquarium critters

General topics:

- Introduction

- Lounge

- Forum help and suggestions

- Products reviews

- The market place

Well, it's up to Will but our suggestions can help him make better decisions.

I don't think dividing the shrimp species into categories will divide the members, it just make the forum more organized so you can find the info you want easily. people who keep Caridina will eventually get interested in keeping Neocaridina and vise versa. if someone likes one specie and hates all the others then it is something to do with the member him/her self not the forum.  

Honestly I don't see any problem on focusing on one specie of shrimp as long as respecting other members choices, following the forum rules and keeping the discussions civil.

Let see what other members think but at the end it is up to the administrator. 

The only reason I would be hesitant to have species forums is because I think you will get similar posts in those sections as you do in the general sections.  For example if someone is asking about filtration for their CRS tank which section would that go to?  Caridinas or Filtration, lighting and other equipments. 

Do you guys like the idea of separating all non-shrimp inverts into a different section or maybe just making the main section for shrimp, crays, and snails and then making an "other" invert section which would be more for pests or insects or other odd things that show up in tanks.

It's up to you. You are the boss man. heh

Personally, I think if we start separating into too many sections while we are still young (under 200 members thus far), it can give the appearance of inactivity because of such small post counts in each section.

I have seen this at other forums there may be alot of members but with only 10 to 20 posts per category it looks dead.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Do you guys like the idea of separating all non-shrimp inverts into a different section or maybe just making the main section for shrimp, crays, and snails and then making an "other" invert section which would be more for pests or insects or other odd things that show up in tanks.

I like the second idea of main section for shrimp, crays and snails. maybe pest and diseases can have a section in the Care, feeding and breeding subforum.

"Well, it's up to Will but our suggestions can help him make better decisions."

I agree 100%.  Bring those suggestions!  Even if some have differing views, we all want this forum to succeed! :)

The more members chime in with ideas the better.

My 2 cents:

I'm also wary of sectioning too much, too early, for many of the reasons listed.

I'm a selfish person, and like all the shrimp stuff together, not divided by species for the simple reason that I get to learn more about all of them!! If I spent all my time in the Neos section, as I would be tempted to do, I feel like I wouldn't get as rich an education in other keeping techniques and suggestions that would also be of benefit.

I wouldn't mind breaking the greater "Shrimp" section down a little into the water parameters, equipment, feeding, etc. sections, but we might not have quite enough threads there yet.

That said, I also like fewer, denser threads more than lots of the same types, all addressing the same question but for different users. ie, I'd rather see one "Mysterious Deaths" thread, than one for each person who has them.

I also like to minimize the number of topics we have so the forum doesn't look empty.  I will look into assigning prefixes to threads so if you want to sort by a subcategory you can (for example in the section Filtration, lighting and other equipments you would be able to have a prefix for Filtration if your topic was about filtration.  This would also make it easy to move all the filtration threads into a new section when we are larger.

Should substrate go with Filtration, lights & Equipment or Water parameters and chemistry.  Substrate is often used to control water chemistry so it may fit nicely in there but I wanted to see what you guys' thoughts were.