"Blue Steel" pheno.

So I have two different blue steels at the moment. One is very small, likely male, with intense an dark blue hood and light yellow tail. Very nice white across the whole carapace. The other is a female, very large, and bright blue, with a few faint white bands around her tail. She's berried right now and the father is either a tangtai, the other blue steel, a shadow panda, or Ruby red with pinto genes.

I found it very interesting how diverse this pheno is. Unless one of these isn't really a blue steel? Perhaps just a hormonally induced color change in the female? What do you all think?

cd42c116b05ace76f12517d95335c1b6.jpg

ba1b8c5c49213a3c24d268d01a476e95.jpg

Bottom pics looks like a BB female to me

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It was sold to me as a blue steel. She definitely looked a lot like it before. Here's an older pic from when she first came in.

0e16a442a4ccbbafabd130b601682b54.jpg

Definitely looks to be a Blue Bolt. Unfortunately, that will be a problem going forward as many people similar to PRL like to take advantage of customers. Not saying this scenario is the case, but it certainly helps to know the initial breeder of the "Steel" to know it was actually derived from a proper crossing.

It was sold to me as a blue steel. She definitely looked a lot like it before. Here's an older pic from when she first came in.

0e16a442a4ccbbafabd130b601682b54.jpg

I just keep seeing a BB tbh. BB will change colors when berried. They get really dark blue looking like an EBB

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

From reading Breeders 'n Keepers, I thought the Steel Blue colour and pattern was originally from Germany. The carapace was a dark grey steely blue and the abdomen was white in those pictures. The male certainly looks like he matches this description. The female in her unberried form looks like this too (though the blue looks more like a BB blue), but being berried now, perhaps the hormonal changes has brought out more blue in her body overall. I find that my BBs colour intensities change depending on what I feed. Maybe she'll change back after the shrimplets come?

Steel Blue isn't just a phenotype, it is a Taitibee. From my understanding derived from crossing a Pseudo Tibee with TB, more likely a Blue Bolt is my guess.

This is why I'm going back into neos.  Seems no matter how hard I try, I can't escape shrimp being sold by phenotype rather than genotype. ;-)

Well I'm having kind of the opposite experience. I know neither is pure TB/BB, for sure. In fact, If I remember correctly one is Tangtai or TT x BB and the other is Aura x BB, so I understand why the phenotypes are different... but they're REALLY different and sometimes change from week to week. It's very interesting.