Types of leaves for leaf litters?

Hey all, and thanks for helping. I am going to put some leaves in my shrimp tank so they could feed off the microorganisms. What kind of leaves can I use? I live in the country so in my yard there are oak, apple, peach, elm, and pecan trees. I was also wondering if leaves from blueberry bushes would work as well. Thanks!

I know you can use  Raspberry, blackberry, peach, cherry, guava, indian almond leaves, teak leaves, spinach, kale, stinging nettle, mulberry, bamboo, banana, oak, and walnut. I asked @ravensgate about this and she was very informative! :) Ask her questions!

Two different reasons to feed leaves - biofilm / food - Many dried leaves are often used as a place for biofilm to grow and as the leaves soften and the shrimp eat the biofilm the leaves also get eaten. This can happen over days/weeks/months. I have some tanks that have had the same IAL leaf in there for two months and just barely nibbled on but the shrimp feed on the biofilm at all times. IAL, Oak, Teak, bamboo, banana and Guava leaves are examples of leaves used for biofilm

Leaves that are treated more as food by shrimp and are eaten typically within 48-72 hours are your fruit tree leaves such as peach, cherry, raspberry, mulberry, etc. Of course kale and spinach are good veggie leaves for them. Stinging nettle, kale and spinach are used for their high calcium content. Kale is higher than spinach and if I remember my research correctly stinging nettle is higher than either of them. These type of veggie leaves can aid in molting. I feed fresh leaves of mulberry, stinging nettle, kale and spinach. These seem to be tank favorites for my crew. They also loves dried green walnut leaves which I keep in the tanks for their antibacterial qualities.

You can find the nutrient data on a lot of those leaves.

people seem to use blueberry leaves to make tea, so they could probably be used for shrimp.

I will also add lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) to the list, my shrimp *really* like it. Member of the mint family, so keep it under control!

4 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Loquat and magnolia are good ones too.

How do you harvest the magnolia leaves? Can I pick it from the tree?

How do you harvest the magnolia leaves? Can I pick it from the tree?

Usually you collect fallen tree leaves. The leaves of bushes can more often be cut and dried.

• 2 weeks later...