Hello! New to Shrimps :)

cheeks

Hello everyone!

I'm Brian from California.

I did a bit of browsing and I'm glad to have found such a great community.

I'm interested in starting a small 10-20g tank consisting mostly of red cherry shrimp and maybe a few tetras! I want to keep it low maintenance as I get more comfortable with taking care of the shrimp before I move forward with different species. Of course I want the tank to be planted as well, but definitely kept simple (is there such thing as a minimally planted tank that doesn't need CO2?)

Anyways, I'm hoping to start soon and would like some tips on what I might need to focus on before I actually get the shrimp. Any advice would be great! Thank you :)

Welcome :) Moss is a great plant for simple low maintenance and shrimp love it

Welcome cheeks! Which part of Cali? And you'll be fine without CO2! I would suggest getting shrimp before fish, and only very peaceful and tiny fish. This way the shrimp can be a part of the landscape when the fish arrive, vs fish thinking shrimp might be food when they get introduced.

welcome, great forum here with lots of info which will be very helpful.

I have a tank of tetra's and a couple cherry shrimps which are always hiding in the moss, since the tetra's find them delicious. I do recommend amano shrimp with tetras, they seem to be aggressive and quick enough to deal with the tetras.

Welcome Brian. I too used RCS Neos as my "starter shrimp". I still remember getting my first berries.

For low maintenance plants, I would suggest Anubias species.  Very common in pet stores and very slow growing.

Java Fern is almost impossible to kill off and grows a bit faster.

Floaters are also very easy to keep alive, like mini water lettuce, frogbit or giant duckweed. Since they float, they take CO2 from the air and have a huge growth advantage over submerged plants.

Thank you for all the tips everyone! I am starting with just a few shrimp and then following with a few tetra. I'll keep in mind getting the shrimp first. I already got all the materials and now just setting up. I hope to post a progress report on here for some criticism. Thanks again!

@ibebian I'm from Orange County!