Custom Stands? DIY scary

Once I move (which is soon yay!) I have an idea to set up multiple tanks to start having a more diverse selection of shrimp, definitely not to try and quell my MTS thirst.

I basically want to end up doing a tank rack with one larger tank on the top (mainly longer) and multiple smaller tanks on the bottom. As much as I'd prefer having one built for me (I'm afraid of the cost) or possibly finding that perfect entertainment center (haha), I know I will probably have to do a DIY tank rack :/

I normally have no problem with trying new things, but I have never built anything before and I feel like building something to hold multiple (or even one) tanks of water wouldn't be a good first project for me. I'm afraid! Anyone have any other suggestions for me or any reassurance? 

By the way I am loving how nice and helpful this forum is! I've been helped several times already and I haven't been here very long. I just hope I'll be able to contribute more myself and not look like a leech.

Or at least spend money on shrimp/equipment after I'm all settled :D

The key to building stank is KISS just don't over think it. If you look at pre-made stands they are composed of particle board. Make sure all your lumber is strait. Use 2x4's no need for any thing larger don't lay them so the wide side is parallel to the floor they loose alot of strength this way. Use screws for assembly. if your going to skin it with plywood no need for any diagonal bracing as this will eliminate any twist. Hope this helps.

Yea just use 2x4s and look for threads Where people built racks. There are many step by step guides there. In about 2 weeks I'll be building a stand close to what your wanting check o it my basement fish room thread. I will post pictures of building my racks.

-Chris

Honestly I don't think they are that hard. Build it like you would a wall; 16" centers and you will be fine.

The frame is really rough carpentry. The measurements don't have to be perfect. I've built one out of 80-20 hardware (look it up if you don't know what it is, it's pretty cool) that we had laying around work in about an hour or so.

Another option might be a bakers rack. Theyre steel; with adjustable shelves rated for 100-300lbs (depending on the grade rack you get); and cost wise its not much more than good lumber

That's what I do.  Mine are steel and hold 6 tenners each shelf.  6' long, 6' tall, 24" wide.  I use 3 shelves.  I use 3/4" OSB on top of the wire shelves for extra durability.  Each shelf has a crossbeam to reduce torquing.  I get them from Menards.

You can also piece together what you need if desired.  Each endcap, each shelf, wire grate, etc. 

I would personally not use the shop storage shelves if they are anything like the one here in SA then they would flex. I have a stainless three tier shelf for my smaller tanks. In total about a metric ton of weight on it and not a millimeter of flex to be seen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk