Hi there, I am Vinny and this is my planted aquarium. it is a 20 long with a screen lid on top. I have had fish since I was nine years old, but I have never had a planted aquarium before. I have always wanted RCS in my tanks as a clean up crew, so that's what I did. When I put these guys in the tank they were all over cleaning plants and scavenging. And then I added fish about two weeks later... I added a golden wonder killi fish along with some small tetras. It seemed like the killi was hunting the RCS so I removed him from the tank. Now ever since I added the killi all my RCS have taken refuge in this plant shown in the picture bellow. The only time I see them leap out of the plant is at night time around 11:30pm... I have no idea what's the matter with them, but they are molting and still look very healthy. I am just concerned about the change in behavior. Any reply would help me so much! Thank you!!!

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8419.jpg

15 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

I bet if they peacefully cohabitate for a while they will get used to the tetras and roam about a bit more.

Yes they will. I have RCS in a tank with a very quiet well mannered male Betta and they are always out and about especially at feeding time.

45 minutes ago, NickAus said:

Yes they will. I have RCS in a tank with a very quiet well mannered male Betta and they are always out and about especially at feeding time.

Same. I've actually heard of quite a few people who've managed to keep bettas with shrimp, but I guess it depends on the betta's personality.

If your shrimp are molting and appear healthy I wouldn't worry too much. As the previous members said they're probably hiding from the threat of the kili. I tried keeping them with some shrimp a while ago and they wiped out all the shrimp in a day or 2. As long as the other fish aren't hunting the shrimp they should come out and become more active when they realize they're safe out in the open. 

22 hours ago, Vinnyrocks7 said:

Hi there, I am Vinny and this is my planted aquarium. it is a 20 long with a screen lid on top. I have had fish since I was nine years old, but I have never had a planted aquarium before. I have always wanted RCS in my tanks as a clean up crew, so that's what I did. When I put these guys in the tank they were all over cleaning plants and scavenging. And then I added fish about two weeks later... I added a golden wonder killi fish along with some small tetras. It seemed like the killi was hunting the RCS so I removed him from the tank. Now ever since I added the killi all my RCS have taken refuge in this plant shown in the picture bellow. The only time I see them leap out of the plant is at night time around 11:30pm... I have no idea what's the matter with them, but they are molting and still look very healthy. I am just concerned about the change in behavior. Any reply would help me so much! Thank you!!!

The tetras are avid hunters of shrimplets.  They usually dont mess with a full grown RCS but will decimate a bunch of new baby shrimplets.  They might be hiding from that as well.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the help you guys have given me!! if you guys wish to leave me any suggestions for plants that provide cover fro shrimp let me know! I have seen more stragglers move away from the comfort of their plant and begin to scavenge. They are still unsure of their surroundings, but at least now they are slowly moving out. Also last question I have is that my plants are beginning to accumulate this brown like algee on their leaves, there also appears to be some green line algae growing on some of the leaves as well. Please let me know anything I can try to do to make my tank better. I also do not have any CO2 diffusing into the tank and I have heard of some other tools to measure more of the parameters of the tank. Thanks guys you have helped out a lot!!!!  

IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8453.jpg