Best steel shelving unit for multiple tanks?

Duff0712

I want to get a steel shelving unit for a tank project I want to do, but not sure what would be best. I would build one myself (cost would be better and better fit for exactly what i'd want) but I dont have the skills or the tools for it. If I could get something on Amazon or anyone knows of something particular that would be great.

The tanks I plan on having:

12g bookshelf

20g long

2x 5g tank

and setting up some tubs underneath (If its 4 or 5 tier) for emersed growing. (not worried about these weights)

I've so far found this and the lb capacity seems to be fine, but I'm just not sure haha. I would definitely replace the particle board with plywood on this model though. NOT going to deal with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Boltless-Storage-Shelves-URWM184872BK-Capacity/dp/B00DSAAYM8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406446349&sr=8-2&keywords=steel+shelving

or maybe this one would look nicer with less space on the sides of the tanks? My length dimensions would only get to 36" total. the other tanks would be 30" and 32" between the two 5's.

http://www.amazon.com/UR185L-BLK-5-Shelf-Shelving-4000lbs-Capacity/dp/B006941Z6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406448355&sr=8-2&keywords=steel+shelving+36%22

I am trying to be on a budget, but I know in the long run a better stand will save me money/time, to possibly prevent it from collapsing

I am so excited for this project though, between this and getting a cat for the first time ever, this next month is going to be awesome.

Would be better to get it at Lowe's, or home depot. You also need to factor in cost of replacing the shelves. They are particle board

Yeah I would definitely replace the particle board.

I'm seeing that OSB can still break apart if wet (not sure if entirely true, but what I'm hearing) would it be worth getting plywood over?

Also, I found a recylcing place nearby me that sells new industrial metal shelving pieces cut to the size I want at .30 a pound. Think it might be worth checking it out and seeing how much it would cost for the dimensions I want.

At closer inspection it is the surplus and used metal sales that will be .30-.50 a pound, but I think I will still look into it.

I like that shelving you have Soothing, however it is way too long for what I am being allowed haha and I am going to 4 to 5 shelves (if even possible). Looks pretty darn solid though. Wish it was shorter!

Not a bad idea Jayr.  I know some people paint them so water beads as well.

I know particle board and hardbaord expands and goes bad when wet.

I haven't seen any problems with osb when wet.  I suppose it is possible.  Since mine is sitting on wire grating, I have it to give a flat surface and extra strength.  I will say that the occasional "splinter" will come up, but nothing that is on a regular basis.

I considered ply, but the cost was 2x-3x the price of OSB.

put 3 or 4 2X12 underneath the MDF after painting it depending on the rack depth.  So even if it does get wet it is supported.  I find the racks at Lowes to be one of the best.  I am moving shortly and since we decided not to by yet I am going to get all new racks so things ar setup and I just have to set the tanks down.

I don't really know, I am stressing it now and I am 2 months out. I think am I am ready to accept allot of missed un caught shrimp dying because I have all but 2 tanks are rimless now. So all the water must be drained

I don't really know, I am stressing it now and I am 2 months out. I think am I am ready to accept allot of missed un caught shrimp dying because I have all must 2 tanks are rimless now. So all the water must be drained

I feel for ya bro, I'm stressed about moving to the basement. I moved my discus tank but I'll be stalling on the shrimp lol. Best thing is to,get a few extra set of eyes to go over the tank. Wife found more that I didn't even see. Seems when you look at them everyday tend to miss a few lol.

I want to get a steel shelving unit for a tank project I want to do, but not sure what would be best. I would build one myself (cost would be better and better fit for exactly what i'd want) but I dont have the skills or the tools for it. If I could get something on Amazon or anyone knows of something particular that would be great.

The tanks I plan on having:

12g bookshelf

20g long

2x 5g tank

and setting up some tubs underneath (If its 4 or 5 tier) for emersed growing. (not worried about these weights)

I've so far found this and the lb capacity seems to be fine, but I'm just not sure haha. I would definitely replace the particle board with plywood on this model though. NOT going to deal with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Boltless-Storage-Shelves-URWM184872BK-Capacity/dp/B00DSAAYM8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406446349&sr=8-2&keywords=steel+shelving

or maybe this one would look nicer with less space on the sides of the tanks? My length dimensions would only get to 36" total. the other tanks would be 30" and 32" between the two 5's.

http://www.amazon.com/UR185L-BLK-5-Shelf-Shelving-4000lbs-Capacity/dp/B006941Z6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406448355&sr=8-2&keywords=steel+shelving+36%22

I am trying to be on a budget, but I know in the long run a better stand will save me money/time, to possibly prevent it from collapsing

I am so excited for this project though, between this and getting a cat for the first time ever, this next month is going to be awesome.

I use these same racks I think. Got them at Home Depot and I've been stupid enough to use the particle boards. Luckily they have survived for half a year already but some are in pretty bad shapes. I need to replace the boards very soon. How do I choose what boards I should go with and their thickness? And will it be better/stronger to have it in one piece or, like soothing suggested, in easy to carry pieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk