Must or not?

I have two rimless tanks on a dresser that I put 3/4" plywood on and then I put the cabinet and droor rubber non slip type padding under and a lot the whole top.

But if you have rimmed tanks in don't think is is necessary. Though could be a good idea to water proof whatever your using

I am assuming that the bottom of the tank is perfectly flat while the surface you are going to put it on may not be, therefor using something under the tank that will fill the clearance will help reduce stress on the bottom glass.

So your opinion is that having something underneath a rimless tank is a must?

If you take a flat sheet of glass and put it on flat surface that has tiny grain of rock, if you apply force on the glass it may break depending on, glass thickness, strength, how much force you applied...

I am not saying its a must but better than nothing.

I just bought a new Mr Aqua 12 gallon tank, and I bought the mat with it. It says it evens out the tank some, helps it to stay level, and

helps it so the pressure is even. I have never used a mat before and I haven't had a problem, so this will be the first mat I have tried.

Okay thanks for the answers! Im a complete noob about the rimless tank as all the tank i have bought before is either elevated or with rim so i was think about buying some rimless tank for a change but it seems alot of trouble just in the same price of tanks with rim. Id probably just stay with my rimmed tanks :P

It's not just the look I don't think. I think it's function ability as well. More items and hard goods are being produced with small fittings that only fit on rimless tanks, such as the aquatek fans, the acrylic tool holders etc.

But I like that it looks less cluttered.

If you have a rimless you should have a mat under it to balance it out or you can shift a panel of glass and have a disaster...

I use yoga mats and cut to size works perfect.

I like my cheaper rimmed tanks :).  I just ordered 4 more 15 gallon tanks

I think people use pads so not to scratch the bottom of the tank and to keep it level. I could see a un level rimless putting stress on a seam and could cause problems, 1/4 thick neoprene would be a good material for a mat.