Int. shipping

Ch3fb0yrdee

Anyone have experience shipping things internationally?

Recently, I sold something to a member but when I visited USPS to ship out the goodies (inside a padded envelope weighting 4oz) the worker quoted me $12 shipping! The destination was in the UK so I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I was quite surprised at the cost.

Can anyone enlighten me it advise me how they go about doing it?

A little more info, the postal worker informed me that the only two options to mail was express or first class. I was required to fill out a customs form, which I get, but the shipping cost was insane.

well going to the PO is your first mistake.

Doing all labels online is much cheaper.

but i just did the calculator online and say the PO for 4oz to UK should of been $10 and online would of been $8

Also you can do 

first class (has to be under a certain weight)

priority

express 

I shipped something to China from commercial carriers (Not USPS, Fedex, UPS, DHL) , it costs $4.5 per pound.

same thing if I ship at USPS, it costs $15 for first pound then $5 per additional pound.

International First class is your cheapest bet from the post office.  The weight limit is 4 pounds so it is pretty high.  I think $8 or so is the cheapest I have seen for something that is only a couple ounces.

International First class is your cheapest bet from the post office. The weight limit is 4 pounds so it is pretty high. I think $8 or so is the cheapest I have seen for something that is only a couple ounces.

Thanks pretty expensive for a couple ounces. Anyone know of an alternative shipping method?

My friends of Asia ship me things using postage stamps and it arrives in a week. I'm okay if anyone knows a method that takes longer.

priority is just significantly more expensive.

I thought you could dig a hole to the other side of the world and just drop the package in.

Digging would cost a lot more than shipping through USPS.

Tried to send my friend in Mexico some books a couple years ago. Package kept getting stolen, even with insurance and tracking. Still not sure why they didn't at least check to see if it was something valuable first - that, or his neighbors actually shared our taste in yaoi manga.

Carrier Pigeon?

And then what?  Sure.. It's a great idea.  I'm shipping lightweight, so cost would be significantly reduced, the downtime would be amazing (those little birds can really fly) but then you have to account for other things such as bigger predatory birds, how will I provide tracking, what if the rain or oceanic mist dampens the package and the goods arrive soaked!  These small implications have to be accounted for.  Good.. but no cigar.   :D  

I thought you could dig a hole to the other side of the world and just drop the package in.

Well... yahhh.. But if we dig from the US, the package will more likely fall into China.  God knows... I don't need it to arrive there..  Cost of pickaxes, labor, and just the time devotion... I rather pay the $18, wouldn't you agree?

And then we have mole people, middle earth, and dinosaurs.  Who knows.... These things almost always ends up being more trouble than it's worth!  :growl:

Ps... Freaking mole people....

Digging would cost a lot more than shipping through USPS.

Finally, some sense!  Thanks James!!!

And then what? Sure.. It's a great idea. I'm shipping lightweight, so cost would be significantly reduced, the downtime would be amazing (those little birds can really fly) but then you have to account for other things such as bigger predatory birds, how will I provide tracking, what if the rain or oceanic mist dampens the package and the goods arrive soaked! These small implications have to be accounted for. Good.. but no cigar. :D

Well... yahhh.. But if we dig from the US, the package will more likely fall into China. God knows... I don't need it to arrive there.. Cost of pickaxes, labor, and just the time devotion... I rather pay the $18, wouldn't you agree?

And then we have mole people, middle earth, and dinosaurs. Who knows.... These things almost always ends up being more trouble than it's worth! :growl:

Ps... Freaking mole people....

Finally, some sense! Thanks James!!!

lol you guys crack me up

Then it just gets stuck in the center of the earth ;)

I ship dry goods to the states via air mail from Canada. Normally it's about $3 to $4 Canadian Dollars (about $0.01 USD? lol)

Only thing is you can't go over 20mm (2cm) thickness. Not sure how much it would be to the UK though.

BTW, if any of you start digging, make it an angle to the north so we can make it a joint effort, let's meet somewhere 10 miles down right under Lake Ontario ;-)

I ship dry goods to the states via air mail from Canada. Normally it's about $3 to $4 Canadian Dollars (about $0.01 USD? lol)

Only thing is you can't go over 20mm (2cm) thickness. Not sure how much it would be to the UK though.

BTW, if any of you start digging, make it an angle to the north so we can make it a joint effort, let's meet somewhere 10 miles down right under Lake Ontario ;-)

Thanks for the tip. I don't know why, but I keep feeling like there's a method where I can just attach postage stamps and mail it off. It's dry goods so ship time isn't a factor. My buddy isn't going to complain. I'm buying those aquarium fans in eBay for $20 and it's free shipping from china. It's a huge package so I don't understand why we can't ship out.

Also, is no one taking my mole people warning seriously?!? We ALL know there's a group of people living in middle earth. It's not safe, please avoid. Let's not lose any folks in this endeavor. [emoji33]

I have begun excavating the tunnel. It is in syracuse NY. we have advanced shoring to 60 ft below grade and have excavated to 15ftbg todate. the hole is 40x40ft. This should be sufficient in size to install multiple elevators to reduce wait times. I anticipate reaching 30ftbg today. However after that I will need a bigger excavator donations are appreciater. Attached is a progress photo. ff2a18182ace37e8b5f4f6467908df45.jpg

I have begun excavating the tunnel. It is in syracuse NY. we have advanced shoring to 60 ft below grade and have excavated to 15ftbg todate. the hole is 40x40ft. This should be sufficient in size to install multiple elevators to reduce wait times. I anticipate reaching 30ftbg today. However after that I will need a bigger excavator donations are appreciater. Attached is a progress photo. ff2a18182ace37e8b5f4f6467908df45.jpg

I have a riding lawn mower and wagon you can use to haul dirt away. Ill even take it to fill holes in my yard......and the obnoxious camper my neighbor has in his yard.

the thing with postage is, if its a normal envelope it has can only be so thick before they charge extra for it. then comes weight and destination. anything international will cost more due to added cost in shipping. think plain fuel, not cheap. then there is customs. i have done international but it was from army post to post in iraq and afghanistand not normal mail so it didnt really count but i did still have to mess with customs forms not fun