Anyboby see this beauty.

colorfan

I don't like any dragon pattern.

The looks like a dragon blood Ruby Red. The dark marbling is really amazing. Like I've mentioned on other posts, the red and shades of red is very subjective. Some find it beautiful, some could care less for it. This is why the hobby is so great.

The looks like a dragon blood Ruby Red. The dark marbling is really amazing. Like I've mentioned on other posts, the red and shades of red is very subjective. Some find it beautiful, some could care less for it. This is why the hobby is so great.

Yeap, just my personal preference.

I try to find WR solid color without any black markings.

It is really cool how all these mutations are coming out now

I love that. Mainly because it reminds me of one of my favorite vars of all time with neos that died out over the years. The Kanoko shrimp.

kanoko-shrimp-1.jpg

kanoko-shrimp-2.jpg

WOW! Those are neos? Shame they went extinct. Beautiful specimens. Something about that black marbling. It's so beautiful.

Wait, really? I had a purple cherry once upon a time. I didn't know they weren't common, it was a cull from a tank of reds.

We're facing a new frontier where people are more adventurous. That way of thinking might have been valid 4-5 years ago but not so much now. I still remember a time when it was unspeakable to even think of mixing Tigers X CRS. Now it's all the rave. I feel like as the hobby grows, and knowledge increases, people become more adventurous. People start thinking about experimenting with genes to see if they can create their own "lineage". It's a natural progression with any hobby.

Some people do it solely for profits while some will do it for the pure joy and love of the hobby. Personally, I'd like to do that as well because I find mixing fun and exciting. I wouldn't go around selling any ol' shrimp I've mixed without disclosing full info on them.

I think Soothing is a good example of someone doing this for the love and joy. I believe he is working hard on developing a lot of new and exciting strains. He isn't for profit or else I'm sure we'd see some of his crazy experiments on the FOR SALE thread.

Occasionally I sell.  Heck, it's one way to support my hobby and all the money it has eaten up from me.  Plus, I like the idea of trying to better strains that are already out there, too.

But let's face it.  It's fun to do your own thang and see the results.  You have to be patient though.  Some of the vars I've been trying to develop have taken over half a decade to get only as far as I have.  Even then, sometimes it pans out...and sometimes it peters out. 

Heck, I've failed more times than succeeded, but that's just part of the game. ;)

Occasionally I sell. Heck, it's one way to support my hobby and all the money it has eaten up from me. Plus, I like the idea of trying to better strains that are already out there, too.

But let's face it. It's fun to do your own thang and see the results. You have to be patient though. Some of the vars I've been trying to develop have taken over half a decade to get only as far as I have. Even then, sometimes it pans out...and sometimes it peters out.

Heck, I've failed more times than succeeded, but that's just part of the game. ;)

A hobby at its core is a stress relieving activity. You'll almost never make more than you put into a hobby. If you do, would it become moreso a business? [emoji9]

Just be lucky you don't have a gun hobby. I don't think you can resell used bullet shells for much cash. [emoji4]

I started out by claiming that my fish and their plants were a hobby to destress from the rabbits (I sideline in rabbit rescue, love 'em but they can really be bad for your blood pressure). Then I wound up rescuing/adopting fish, some of whom were sick. Then I realized that all of my plants were dying. (Look, somehow I'm really talented at killing plants. I plant weeds and they keel over.)

Eventually, I went and got myself a frog to destress from the aquaria.

I think that I should stop trying to get a hobby.

I started out by claiming that my fish and their plants were a hobby to destress from the rabbits (I sideline in rabbit rescue, love 'em but they can really be bad for your blood pressure). Then I wound up rescuing/adopting fish, some of whom were sick. Then I realized that all of my plants were dying. (Look, somehow I'm really talented at killing plants. I plant weeds and they keel over.)

Eventually, I went and got myself a frog to destress from the aquaria.

I think that I should stop trying to get a hobby.

At least the frog will earn his keep by eating any flies that dare to invade.

I can't keep plants well either - I can even kill off java fern and that's supposed to be indestructible.

Just a note that lots of shrimp can be one offs. Nadal is famous for naming a single shrimp that may have popped up. However IMHO a name should be reserved for a successful strain that is either successful or being worked on.

I asked him if they dried true. And the answer I got was the red and eyes were recessive. So if my memory of high school biology is right they don't breed true and this could well be a one off. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If the genes are recessive and the specimens are showing the traits, all offsprings will also show the recessive traits, which means they'll breed true. I doubt it though. Being red and having the orange eyes don't mean they'll look just like that one in the picture. Unless I see a good colony of this shrimp, I wouldn't even have the slightest thought that they'd breed true. If the line has been stabilized I think these would've become popular. Dang, those eyes!