Controsoil available on Amazon

I'd like to say that ControSoil is awesome.

I had one 20L using ControSoil (Black, X-Fine), setup for 1 week with existing HOB. 

then I got 6 MK-Breed PRL at SCAPE meeting from Blue Crown (1/25). I have two batches of shrimplet already in short two months. and juvies grow up nicely.

and two females berried up second time in one day (release -> molting -> berried).

Water is crystal clear, I only use AC50 HOB and one 4" sponge filter from Angelfish plus.

It's just awesome substrate.

I'd like to say that ControSoil is awesome.

I had one 20L using ControSoil (Black, X-Fine), setup for 1 week with existing HOB.

then I got 6 MK-Breed PRL at SCAPE meeting from Blue Crown (1/25). I have two batches of shrimplet already in short two months. and juvies grow up nicely.

i

and two females berried up second time in one day (release -> molting -> berried).

Water is crystal clear, I only use AC50 HOB and one 4" sponge filter from Angelfish plus.

It's just awesome substrate.

Yea I added into my bare bottom tank and cleared in a day and no death.

Fine is pretty small, I think extra fine would be a little too small.

It's perfect for juvies.

curious what everybody's most popular size is?  I've been using the Medium 5mm but plan on switching to the Fine 3mm.

I don't use UGF, so X-Fine is perfect.

So how does this compare to U.P. Aqua Shrimp Sand? Or maybe I should ask what are the pros and cons of each?

Never used U.P sand before. can't comment.

But IMHO, ControSoil is much better than ADA AquaSoil Amazonia.

if you keep Bee shrimp.

Very stable, no leach ammonia. so you don't need to wait to add new shrimp if you have filter cycled already.

I just setup two new tanks this weekend, I will be adding to the journals thread soon. I used Ex-Fine Black and Fine-Brown, really like them both, after I filled up the aquariums both tanks were crystal clear.So far I am a big fan.

I'm one of the few that use UP shrimp sand.  I love it.  Lasts for a very long time (over a couple years now in my case) and doesn't break down much- even after drying in the oven, storing and reusing.

The con is that it costs about $20 per 2kg bag, and does not contain plant nutrients.

Ahh Bryce I have to throw my two cents in about UP Aqua Shrimp Sand. In my experience, it has never buffered at all zero, zilch, nada. I like the way it looks and does not break down but I would never buy it again. I would be curious about trying the Up Aqua Sand for plants which stated by the company says it will lower pH. Shrimp sand does not say it will lower pH on Up Aqua website.

Shrimp Sand

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/up-shrimp%20sand-DM-big.jpg

Aqua Soil

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_dm-aquasoil-big.jpg

LOL  Rye and I always good naturedly duel on this subject when it comes up because we have had different experiences.  :)

My Shrimp sand knocks ph down to 5.8ish, but his sand didn't do much.

EDIT: I just used my pinpoint to check some of my Neo tanks and they test in the same range.  DANG!  Rye may be correct after all!  LOL Gotta get some testing solution, recalibrate, and do some accurate testing again.  *grumble grumble*  On the upside, if my water is really that acidic, I may not need buffering substrate at all. :)

I did start a tank last week with Controsoil Black Fine and I love it so far. The size granule is perfect it is super clean and im excited to see how this cycle goes. If what others say is correct im hoping to have my cycle completed by three weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

I did start a tank last week with Controsoil Black Fine and I love it so far. The size granule is perfect it is super clean and im excited to see how this cycle goes. If what others say is correct im hoping to have my cycle completed by three weeks.

IF you were to use an old filter that is cycled.  Is there a reason one could no just add contrasoil and in 24 hours add shrimp?

IF you were to use an old filter that is cycled.  Is there a reason one could no just add contrasoil and in 24 hours add shrimp?

Contrary to popular belief the majority of your nitrifying bacteria live in the substrate and not the filter. If you were very lightly stocking your tank its possible that you could do that. I am cycling for TB and pinto and with the price of some these shrimp I would never take that chance.

No problem, I did that before without any issue.

Make sure to use a accurate pH test.

You should not add shrimp after 24 hours. Reason is because you need to do many many flushes to remove excessive nutrients and increase pH. I don't know about you guys but my batch started with a pH around 4.5 and after few months, it's still at 5.1 pH