Blue Cardinals Do exist

ctaylor3737

Here is my proof! I may have to do a selective breeding project. I have 4 that have the bluish appearence. I wonder if I can get something that looks like these guys. Naturally they wont be imported forever and will be crazy expensive when they do. So I am going to start on my own line and see what happens.

post-124-0-38161900-1413603919_thumb.jpg

It looks like yours also have more white legs then normal.  Are the blue ones always blue?  They often look blue right after turning on the light or when the get stressed.  I have a picture that shows almost all of mine blue.  Which ones in your picture were blue?  I wasn't able to tell (my color vision sucks).

Here is my proof! I may have to do a selective breeding project. I have 4 that have the bluish appearence. I wonder if I can get something that looks like these guys. Naturally they wont be imported forever and will be crazy expensive when they do. So I am going to start on my own line and see what happens.

Are all these shrimps you have been kept for long time or you just got a new batch?

These have been selected breeding before, that's why they have all white legs. So far I know only a handful of people have them.

It looks like yours also have more white legs then normal. Are the blue ones always blue? They often look blue right after turning on the light or when the get stressed. I have a picture that shows almost all of mine blue. Which ones in your picture were blue? I wasn't able to tell (my color vision sucks).

I have about 5 right now that are the blue bodied shrimps. I set up a 10g yesterday and started cycling it for a sulawesi tank so I can start on this project asap.

Are you able to tell gender?

Not at all, you can see saddles at night. Thats how i figure out if they are berried. Most you cant even see when they are fully colored.

Are all these shrimps you have been kept for long time or you just got a new batch?

These have been selected breeding before, that's why they have all white legs. So far I know only a handful of people have them.

Ive had thesr over a year. I wont add new blood anymore.

These look really awesome. Fingers crossed for you on the breeding.

What are you feeding them?

I dont really feed them anything. I have tried but they are really selective. They will eat some wafers my snails wont eat in there but thats about it.

Ive had thesr over a year. I wont add new blood anymore.

Cool!!! In this case, I will suggest you selectively breed those that has bigger spots. Bigger spots (big till two or more combined together) Cardinal fetches very high price and these little bugger will make you a very rich man soon. LOL!!! ;)

You will have to give them a regional name to set them apart from the imports.

Yea there isnt anyone that I have found that does much with them as far as selective breeding.

Cool!!! In this case, I will suggest you selectively breed those that has bigger spots. Bigger spots (big till two or more combined together) Cardinal fetches very high price and these little bugger will make you a very rich man soon. LOL!!! ;)

Mine have been pretty hardy now, I can do water changes without worrying about killing them. When I first imported them a top off would kill them literally watch them convulse and die in seconds. Was terrible lol, now they are not shy and will come up to my hand when im cleaning.

Mine have been pretty hardy now, I can do water changes without worrying about killing them. When I first imported them a top off would kill them literally watch them convulse and die in seconds. Was terrible lol, now they are not shy and will come up to my hand when im cleaning.

LOL!!! Indeed I observed the same behaviour as you do. However, what I observed is that if the environment is to their liking (not just water parameters, also the layout, water flow and lighting), even the F0 shrimps will do what you mentioned; I observed this when I revamp the tank recently. Given said that, the more generation down, the less shy they are. It is a good thing you breed them for so long. We should encourage trading of more captive-breed than capturing from the wild. This will be more responsible to the environment. ;)

There is another key factor too. Other than they are acclimated, you are also "acclimated". Many of the Sulawesi shrimp not acclimating well or die is because of their owner do not know how to take care of them, including myself when I first started (all the information on the web are phoney). Last time took me 2 months to get them survive and breed, this time when I revamp the tank, it took me only 2 weeks. LOL!! Maybe you should have an article to share with people how to setup Sulawesi tank. :)

LOL!!! Indeed I observed the same behaviour as you do. However, what I observed is that if the environment is to their liking (not just water parameters, also the layout, water flow and lighting), even the F0 shrimps will do what you mentioned; I observed this when I revamp the tank recently. Given said that, the more generation down, the less shy they are. It is a good thing you breed them for so long. We should encourage trading of more captive-breed than capturing from the wild. This will be more responsible to the environment. ;)

There is another key factor too. Other than they are acclimated, you are also "acclimated". Many of the Sulawesi shrimp not acclimating well or die is because of their owner do not know how to take care of them, including myself when I first started (all the information on the web are phoney). Last time took me 2 months to get them survive and breed, this time when I revamp the tank, it took me only 2 weeks. LOL!! Maybe you should have an article to share with people how to setup Sulawesi tank. :)

Def, I did kill alot of them when I first got them. Really with them is not to touch the tank lol. The less you do the better and if your thinking about changing something dont... I will have to say that the harlequins are just as sensitive and I am still not sure about them. But the juvies I have are still in the tank so I must be doing something right with them.

Def, I did kill alot of them when I first got them. Really with them is not to touch the tank lol. The less you do the better and if your thinking about changing something dont... I will have to say that the harlequins are just as sensitive and I am still not sure about them. But the juvies I have are still in the tank so I must be doing something right with them.

For your Harlequin shrimp tank, cover up all around the side of the tank with pieces of large size white cardboard taped together. This will prevent shadow from us causing stress on them. After you covered for a week or two until they are used to the environment and after first moult, they will be good. I find this work very well. The last batch of Sulawesi shrimp I bought and I did this, there is only 1 death but it was caused by the transportation (it died within 5 minutes I put it in the tank).

However, remember to pick up any dead shrimp everyday, which is one of the major killing reasons for most Sulawesi tank (warm alkaline tank has much higher free ammonia, especially you guys are using SS 8.5 salts). Even the tank is covered up, you still can check for dead shrimps from the top of the tank. ;)