Cherry Shrimp with possible Parasites???

Digerri

Hi there.  New here and hope someone here can help.  

I just purchased some Cherry shrimp today.  After putting them in tank I noticed this berried females eggs look like they have possible parasites.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and what it is.  I really don't want it so spread it other females carrying eggs.  

Thanks.

Diana

post-518-0-02761800-1416548238_thumb.jpg

I am a little bit new, but one of my females had that for a day after having her babies. It was empty egg residue that she cleaned up over a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what is is called?

What meds with formalin do you recommend?

Check this out:

http://www.crustahunter.com/schimmel-garnelenschimmel-pilzbefall/

Bought a couple red cherries from my lfs a year ago.  I was a real newbie. One of the shrimp had this problem, although it was a white color - and it did die a while after putting her in the tank - so did the rest of my cherries later - although I never did see any of this bacteria on the others.

White inside is bacterial infection.

The "green eggs" is either a fungus or parasite depending on whom you talk to.

The only successful way to get rid of it in the US that has been tried that I know of is a salt dip.  And yes.  Isolate it, and treat or cull because it can spread and kill your entire colony:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=146903&page=2 Look at post 29 and 30, 33 and 34

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...940#post694940

The links are for vorticella, but uses the same treatment as what you'll have to do.  Possibly even stronger.

I believe the European treatment is a bath in formalin.  Effective, but toxic so be careful.

where did you purchase this shrimp from?  thats also good information so others dont do the same.

I know its terrible to say but ultimately the best answer is to isolate this shrimp and hope it clears up otherwise destroy and move on.

and spread the word about who you purchased this from so others dont have the same issue.

Could the recent surge of neos with parasites and other issues being sold to NA shrimpers have anything to do with them just being raised and bred in the masses and in dirt ponds? Anyone know? I've recently decided that I'm going to take down my neo tanks and focus on crystals and tigers but the numerous posts about neos with strange eggs and such caused a light bulb to go off.

IMO, It's better to contact the person whom you bought this from and let them have a chance to rectify the situation.

Of course if you would like to share it to anyone who asks via pm, that makes sense as well.

I agree with the first part, that should be a given. but the 2nd part needs to be shared publicly for others to see.

if shared privately then others wont learn.

Most of us have an idea of where this came from already.

I agree with the first part, that should be a given. but the 2nd part needs to be shared publicly for others to see.

if shared privately then others wont learn.

Most of us have an idea of where this came from already.

I can't agree more with BonstonEric on this one. I was reviewing a few messages a few days ago and noticed that in one of my messages, a guy was stating how unhappy he was with shrimps he bought but when I reviewed his public posts, he stated that said shrimp were incredible and he couldn't be happier. [emoji29].

I find it so strange that said person would do this. It seems like we're approaching the point of such modesty that it's actually hurting the community. Instead of stating the discontent we post positive review which isn't help anyone, especially the newer folks coming into the hobby.

Mind you, these weren't those cheaply 2-3 neos. We're talking about $60-90 shrimps.

From my opinion I really think it is how well the seller quarantine and inspect the shrimps when they bring it in. Even if the customer have to wait a few days to a week, it is up to the seller to make sure they are sending out healthy shrimps. I am pretty sure the customers would be willing to wait since they would not want shrimps that would give them problems later on.

You should cull it. Even if you think you cured it, it could be only temporary and the infection could be just suppressed. In that case the disease might come back and put your other shrimps at risk.

Your best bet my friend is to buy from your fellow hobbyists... Stay away from imported shrimp... I know sometimes its the only option to get what you want and if thats the case then so be it.. Our goal as hobbyists in the usa should be to breed quality shrimp and cut out the foreign importers all together