Crossing TB with Neo

ok... I've talked about this before with a few of the most experienced breeders in the world.

like what has been posted that the fertility and survival rate of the babies is EXTREMELY low and very likely none will survive.

I'll address it with them again to get a clearer answer for you.

Cool I'm curious hear what they say. I wasn't really trying to do this I have three chocolate neos in my TB tank that I don't want reproducing so when I noticed she was ready to berry put her in the breeder box. I thought what the heck my panda is one horny dude so let's put him in there and see what happens. He is a sexual bully in my tank so I figured if it could happen he would make it happen.

Cool I'm curious hear what they say. I wasn't really trying to do this I have three chocolate neos in my TB tank that I don't want reproducing so when I noticed she was ready to berry put her in the breeder box. I thought what the heck my panda is one horny dude so let's put him in there and see what happens. He is a sexual bully in my tank so I figured if it could happen he would make it happen.

Here's how I see it.

1. You did breed a neo x caridina = amazing.

2. You did breed a neo x caridina but babies die or grows up sterile = still amazing and disproof the common belief that they don't mix.

3. You didn't breed a neo x caridina it was a mistake = ehhh honest mistake. Not trying to trick anyone. No biggie. Fun exciting moment.

Regardless, this is still pretty exciting. We're here to learn and explore new possibilities. Just because someone, somewhere said it's not possible doesn't mean it's true. Same thing with folks still believing co2 + ferts is a no no in shrimp tanks.

This is why I love this forum. There's people on here every day trying new things and testing old beliefs. I think that's the only way to really discover everything these shrimp have to offer. Lots and lots and LOTS of trials. 

This particular topic is extremely interesting and I cant wait to see what becomes of it. Perhaps you should make a journal? Detailing all of the specifics of your setup, parents, and documenting the offspring. Id be curious to see their development and whether or not subsequent generations will be able to breed. Exciting stuff for sure!   

from another major breeder.....

"Hi Eric. I have not heard of such cross, nor I have personal experience on it. I am not sure what stage of the cross now. A cross won't consider successful unless the eggs hatch. And for some females, they can carry egg without successful fertilisation"

doesnt mean its not possible, but sharing because I asked. 

Either way Bryce the original intention was to keep the chocolates from breeding in the TB tank. So I think I could be successful there if all else fails. If the results are mixed I would try it again with a cherry shrimp.

Hmm 20 hours and you think the panda is the dad? Dont the eggs get fertile in the saddle? And then drop several days later

The eggs are fertilized as they pass from the ovaries to her undercarriage.