Crossing TB with Neo

lol - I still love that term "fluffin' the muffins" :) 

So - are there other berried in there? Was just wondering how easy it will be to sort out these babies from others? Maybe it will be extremely obvious, but just curious.

I can't wait to see/hear what happens ... suspense!

There are other babies in that tank and one other berried BB. The BB should be giving birth soon like a week and the Neo should be another 3 weeks so there should be enough time between them to tell them apart size wise.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the physiologic cue for the eggs to descend and be carried is? Is it the physical act of the mating, maybe, or the presence of a male-origin chemical/hormone during the process?

Just thinking the mating may have triggered her to carry the eggs, but may not have even achieved fertilization. Or, I suppose pseudo fertilization, i.e. nonviable eggs.

I think that's maybe where defining a "successful" breeding comes in... You seem to have seen it work enough to carry the eggs (which is rare and exciting in itself!) and now we wait to see if she doesn't drop the eggs, if the babies are produced alive, and if they survive to adulthood, are they sterile?

Great thread!

I believe this one is a cross between my Blue Rili and OEBT.  It doesn't fit any of the patterns of the rili and looks very much like what I experienced in the 1st generation of my Bengal shrimps (red tiger x tt) The shrimp didn't look like anything of the parents, and had 5 bands on their backs...when they bred back the next generation had the tiger stripes with orange color and white appeared in them...why I named them Bengals.

I believe the 5 bands are a throwback to some sort of wild genetic.  Just my theory of course.

Im keeping fingers crossed for you RyeGuy.

27zi6u1.jpg

Her eggs should be hatching right around March 30th so it wont be much longer until we see what happened. The funny thing is the eggs she is carrying are two different colors, some are an orange color while others are dark blue. They look just like the mixed TB eggs my Golden Bees carried. Hmm wonder what that means. I have never seen a neo carry eggs of different colors.

That is very interesting....Ive had that happen with Taiwans carrying both bkk and wr, you get both black and red eggs, but in neos Im not that up on them.  Can't wait to see what comes out of the pot :thumbsu:

Hybrids can be surprising, but lots of fun if you are into experimenting for new things.

Mayphly.  Yes that's the 1st one and actually only one I found.  Now if it is a hybrid it could be sterile, but Im going to try something with it soon.  Have to move around some shrimps to make room for new projects :lolu:

• 2 weeks later...

She has given birth a couple days ago, I can see tiny shrimplets. I do have some pictures but it so hard to tell yet. I will get better pictures as they get bigger and post them. I dont think they initially look like chocolate neo babies, which are usually just clear. These are pretty clear but have some horizontal lines on just the top of their backs that appear to be white. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...