HOB media?

Soothing Shrimp

I'm still pretty new to fish.  I just added an HOB to one of my tanks tank , but still keeping the double sponge running until the HOB is seeded.

If I remember correctly, there's no need for carbon, so what should I fill the HOB with for beneficial bacteria?

I have a top fin 30 on a 20T.

Matrix. 

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about biofiltration; http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGrams/Biofiltration.pdf

Here is a study comparing others vs. Matrix http://www.seachem.com/support/SpecificSurface.pdf

Biomax is cheaper and would be my second choice.

Yes absolutely.  Put it in a bag- Fluval makes some for the AC 20/30 that should fit.  You may want a sponge for polishing as well.

I have two of these, they are tiny little filters but the setup would be the same for me even if I was using aquaclear or in your case Top Fin

What kind of fish?

In my betta tanks (that have HOBs) I just use sponges, and now purigen. Before I found heavenly purigen, They are small tanks and fully planted. I keep the carbon cartridge around just in case I have to medicate the tanks but honestly have never used them.

I use sponge on the bottom, purigen in place of carbon and then the bio rings. .  

Aquariumlover I think the reason alot of fish keepers no longer use carbon is because it is only beneficial for a month then it needs to be changed or can sit there uselessly. 

For my zoo med 501s (about the same size as an HOB) I use a sponge on the intake so I can go without it inside of the filter and then fill the chamber with pea sized lava (like high5 mentioned), purigen, and sera super peat. I've used panty hose before and it works but I switched to these cheap filter bags I got on eBay for everything but purigen. They allow more flow than the panty hose

I use sponge on the bottom, purigen in place of carbon and then the bio rings. .  

Aquariumlover I think the reason alot of fish keepers no longer use carbon is because it is only beneficial for a month then it needs to be changed or can sit there uselessly.

Yeah I get why some people dont, but in smaller tanks its usefull.

I've used panty hose before and it works but I switched to these cheap filter bags I got on eBay for everything but purigen. They allow more flow than the panty hose

pantyhose is for matrix.it's like purigen.

i would use ceramic rings (having the water hitting them first),then matrix if you want.

if your going to put it a tank will fish you need a good colony of BB.

in your shrimp tank there's not going to be much ammonia to feed on.

when you get your media,put it in a tank with 1-3 ppm of ammonia and cycle the tank.

I'd echo the same as many others.

I have an AQ20 with sponge > matrix > purigen.........I had the purigen "before" the matrix until I realized it was stalling my cycle.

I'm using Seachem's "The Bag" with the matrix, but looking for cheaper alternatives in the future.  "The Bag" is a plastic material that can be fused (heat-welded) if you have a vacuum sealer........

I would also only use carbon when removing medications, or when no amount of filtration will keep up the water quality (e.g., a turtle tank rather than a fish tank). You don't really need it and can spend the money and media space on other things. If you need carbon to keep the tank smelling clean, then I say stock less or do more water changes. (I pretty much always end up saying that.)

I saw a pretty epic video of a wet/dry built for a pond using lava rock. Very nice. That style filter is better oxygenated, but I'm guessing you aren't going to need to process the same kind of waste load as a pond. (Did you know that water is like a magnet for duck poop?)

I'd echo the same as many others.

I have an AQ20 with sponge > matrix > purigen.........I had the purigen "before" the matrix until I realized it was stalling my cycle.

I'm using Seachem's "The Bag" with the matrix, but looking for cheaper alternatives in the future.  "The Bag" is a plastic material that can be fused (heat-welded) if you have a vacuum sealer........

This is exactly what I use- sponge, matrix, purigen.  I got the "bag" and it was huge.  I cut it down an zip tied it- I had no clue you could do this.  I have a vaccuum sealer and will give it a shot.