Think I got ripped off....

Bought some prl for a seller on aquabid after seeing their listing 3 times in a row. Bid but never won so I emailed him if he sold outside of auction. He did so I asked price...$12-$15 depending on quantity ordered. I wanted 5 so he told me $15 each plus $15 shipping. I ordered on a Friday night btw. So monday and Tuesday come and he doesn't ship. Told me he forgot a package which was mine... No timeframe when he'd ship them... Left me in the dark...So I emailed twice and offered to pay difference if he would express them to me. Took him a day to reply but he did ship Thursday. I got them friday late morning. No heat pack and poor packaging IMO. It was 26f that morning. Lucky they only sat outside for 30 min while I drove home from work to get them. Anyways, opened the box, alive still but super pale. See thru pale.... It's been 2 days and well, they are still pale and almost yellow. Not even as white as my 5 I got from shrimpusa which are not prl. Seller told me it was feather gene. I dunno since these are my first supposed prl shrimp. Think I got robbed. White is pitty pale and red is well, crs red, not prl red. He gave me 7 and some food samples but I still don't think these are prl. Haven't bothered to complain because he doesn't communicate well meaning it goes straight to his phone but he doesn't think it's worthy of replying to asap. I Guess I'll just wait them out and see how they look when they are breeding. Ugh... $110 wasted. Coulda bought dreamer yoyo or ellen wangs. Rant over......

It sounds like you got scammed.

Pretty sure NO ONE gives extra shrimp when it comes to PRL and TB. Looks like he gave you CRS.

I suggest you contact them for refund. Do not deal with them anymore. If they refuse to refund, contact paypal if that was your payment method.

I may be wrong but pretty sure PRL is suppose to be solid color rather than what you described.

Yeah some are beige looking. Only one is really white and sort of solid with cracks in white. I figured it might be just needing to settle in but after a couple days, I am beginning to doubt that. I have never seen culled prl so I may as well have culled ones and they may truly be prl. I don't know. I think I'll just take it as a lesson learned. May wait for a while before looking again. I really wanted some prl but after this, I'll wait for my shrimp to grow up and see what I'm gonna do. I did pay with PayPal, twice! First was $90 then another $21 to cover the express. As I said, I'll just have to take this as lesson learned. Only positive note to all this is, spouse doesn't ask much questions.

Hello, sorry to hear that. Someone selling PRL for 3.50 each and provided a pic so i was excited to buy alot of them...it has cracks and stuff I was sad but after few days settle in they looked alot way better but still i dont believe those what he sell is PRL but the shrimp look somewhat like PRL.

Shouldn't people specifically post if they are selling culls? I have seen posts for 'culls' and they very clearly let you know what to expect.

I would definitely go back to the seller. Even if the price was that low, if they lied about the quality or set out to mislead you then that is wrong.

Shouldn't people specifically post if they are selling culls? I have seen posts for 'culls' and they very clearly let you know what to expect.

I would definitely go back to the seller. Even if the price was that low, if they lied about the quality or set out to mislead you then that is wrong.

Unless you are buying breeder or competition grade PRL, pretty much all of them are culls. If the breeder is selectively breeding, pretty much anything the breeder is willing to sell and not keeping for his breeding program are essentially culls.  What we will find with more established (i.e commercialized) breeders is that they would develop a more simplified grading system for their "culls" because once you get into multiple "grades" or tiers it gets very confusing when you say your entry level PRL are "culls of culls of culls of culls".  And if they are professional breeders; well they need to sell shrimps so they will have find a way of supplying shrimps to a wider audience; which means different grades and price points.

As a buyer you have a right to ask for photos of the actual shrimps (or at least the colony) that you are getting - as a seller this helps as well as it helps greatly in terms of the buyer's expectations. 

You won't believe how many times someone tells me they want some of my entry level PRL's but also want a solid white body and solid red legs. Now since my line is relatively young (~ 3 years) and i ddin;t start with very high grades, not even my breeders have 100% solid whites and 100% solid red legs.  Keep in mind they want all this for shrimps that I generally sell for $8-12 CAD (~ $6-9 USD).

Out of my PRL colony (500+ shrimps) there is only male that I consider to be my top breeder and pretty all the rest are my "culls".  I do keep a couple males for backup but really he is the only one i would use for my main breeding program for that particular line.

I know when I was first looking at getting PRL a few years ago I always ask questions about the lineage of the shrimps and if possible photos of the parents and the colony where the shrimps are coming from. But there is also going to be people who buy low grade PRL's and sell the offsprings without much selective breeding.   I mean there is nothing wrong with that as they are filling a void in the market and the price must be right if there are people buying.  But once more entry level PRL from established breeders are available, you will find there will be some price pressure as entry level PRL like Ellen E3, MK breed, and even Benibachi band grade are all around the $15-25 range.

Selling PRL is so risky. Expectations are sky high. What people are willing to pay vs what they expect to receive is proportionally different.

I'm sorry for your bad sales experience.

+1, I think we had a similar discussions with another hobbyists on TPT a while back about this as well... basically one of the point was that most low grade PRL's (i.e $15-20) won't be any different than regular CRS and probably would look any better than regular CRS - you are basically just buying them for the genes and essentially the potential within those genes.  But don't think you can take those and breed them and hopefully get a high grade PRL out of it - when you start with low grade PRL's, it could take years to get some decent looking shrimps.  Some people bark at the high prices for mid to high grade PRL's ($200+) but for me if I am starting a new line, and they are what I am looking for, they are definitely worth it based solely on the time you save in selective breeding.

To summarize, do some research and ask for photos; ask people here even - but at the same time don't expect too much because not all PRL's are equal especially when they are under $100 each :P   But at the same time (and this goes for any shrimps regardless of price) if you think they are worth what you are paying (and you think you can keep them alive), than go for it : ) 

just remember that the term "PRL" has nothing to do with looks; it is based on lineage and genes (i.e no golden genes).

E7173DC0-6621-4514-86F1-E9D865397736_zps

I wasn't expecting much... Just a little more than this. Here's a photo. All are from seller. Only little one in front is white and more solid than rest. I've seen your lower grades you have on your site jumpsmasher and these are not close to yours for around the same price assuming the low grades you sell look like your photo.

This is actually a common confusion.  PRL just means no goldens are in the genes to be thrown.  That's it.  It has nothing to do with how white the shrimp is.

We post pics all the time in this hobby of PRL, however most of those pics are of exceptional opaque shrimp that breeders have taken the dedicated effort over years to selectively breed.  The general rule is, the better looking the shrimp- the more expensive it is.  up into the thousands of dollars in some cases.

Can people and do people get ripped off on Ebay and Amazon?  Unfortunately some do.  Do they overcharge?  Again, some do.  You'll have much better luck if you buy from this forum.  I'm sorry you learned that lesson the hard way. :(

I am truly sorry you didn't get what you asked/paid for. I would contact paypal and set up a claim for refund from this Seller.

You did NOT get what you paid for, so they will go to arbitration for you with this Seller to see what he is willing to do for you.

I didn't get something I ordered too, and I did this and I got my full refund!  I took 4 weeks but I got it all back. Worth the shot.

I just rec'd some Royal Blue Tigers that I ordered off aquabid.com on the weekend.  I am very displeased with this Seller and will NOT buy from him again, nor give a good reference.  I rec'd the flat box and inside was a cigar shaped bag wrapped in paper towel (no insulation) and inside this 5 inch long bag was my 5 x RBTs....all BABIES!!!   Who ships Babies???   Juvies I expected, but these were sooo tiny I couldn't tell if they were RBTs or Blue Dreams.

Time will tell, they are in the tank, but I haven't seen them since.

Sellers need to be held accountable to what they ship, so go to Paypal and get your money back!

i agree this is a lesson learned. I guess it's my fault as well as I didn't ask much except what line it originally came from which is "feather" And that he hasn't mixed with other lines. For now, I'll just take it as is and be more cautious next time.

i agree this is a lesson learned. I guess it's my fault as well as I didn't ask much except what line it originally came from which is "feather" And that he hasn't mixed with other lines. For now, I'll just take it as is and be more cautious next time.

it happens, just ask for photos of what you are getting in the future. As yes those were actual photos of the shrimps in my entry level PRL tank. Usually if they are clear during the day like the ones in your photo, they get thrown in my standard CRS tank. But do keep in mine sometimes they have a bad moult so they might get the color back in a bit or sometimes not. When I sell some shrimps to new customers or someone who is not familiar with my PRL line i generally take photos of them in the breeder box the night before I ship them out so the customer can decide at that point if he is happy with them.

I did the same thing when first started out with some PBL. Was an established breeder and lineage seems about right. In the end they weren't the best looking PBL but i still kept them for 3 years and had a decent size colony of them. Finally got rid of them last month and even though the quality wasn't what i expected, they were good shrimps overall and I am certain with some more work they would have turned out quite well but we are talking years.

But do talk with the seller and see what he can do. That being said I was never that impressed with the Feather line to begin with...

I do think you got ripped off, even at that price. The name PRL does refer mainly to the genetics but that should be seen phenotypically as well.

Talk with the seller or take it as a lesson learned. Remember to always ask for pictures (even pictures of the individual shrimps) if you're paying for/expecting high end shrimps.

I'm sorry for your loss but for $15 I won't be expecting anything good, especially from a unknown seller and a lineage from "Feather Line". You basically just paid for the genetic, which is no golden bee gene.

I am truly sorry you didn't get what you asked/paid for. I would contact paypal and set up a claim for refund from this Seller.

You did NOT get what you paid for, so they will go to arbitration for you with this Seller to see what he is willing to do for you.

I didn't get something I ordered too, and I did this and I got my full refund!  I took 4 weeks but I got it all back. Worth the shot.

I just rec'd some Royal Blue Tigers that I ordered off aquabid.com on the weekend.  I am very displeased with this Seller and will NOT buy from him again, nor give a good reference.  I rec'd the flat box and inside was a cigar shaped bag wrapped in paper towel (no insulation) and inside this 5 inch long bag was my 5 x RBTs....all BABIES!!!   Who ships Babies???   Juvies I expected, but these were sooo tiny I couldn't tell if they were RBTs or Blue Dreams.

Time will tell, they are in the tank, but I haven't seen them since.

Sellers need to be held accountable to what they ship, so go to Paypal and get your money back!

So you kept the shrimp and got a refund? Not a discount, a refund? Essentially stealing...